LZHS ranks 43rd in US News report

LZHS ranks 43rd in US News report

LZHS ranked 43rd in Illinois.  US News released their nationwide list of high schools based on academic standards.  Overall, Lake Zurich was awarded a silver medal and was ranked 997th in the national ranking.

The lineup was determined using four different scores: student to teacher ratio, college preparedness score, math proficiency, and reading proficiency.  These scores are mainly based upon Advanced Placement (AP) participation and scoring.

“Overall, it’s a great way to be recognized, and always good to have a national organization to take a look and realize the good things we’re doing here in Lake Zurich,” Kent Nightlinger, principal, said.  “However, it’s only one measure, mainly based on AP scores.  There are other things you have to look at, like the PSAE scores, which we may have higher scores for that than people who were ranked above us.”

Although the school’s PSAE score does not go into the overall judgement, the scores are based upon many other factors.  The first number was the student to teacher ratio, where LZ scores a 17:1 ratio, which is very near to the Illinois average.  The student body is 51 percent male and 49 percent female, and the minority enrollment is 14 percent, according to US News’ website.

The next score was based on college readiness of the students, mainly based upon the AP scores the students within the school were receiving.  LZ scored a 35.0, saying that 39 percent of the school participates at the AP level, and 34 percent passed the AP test.

The last two scores were calculated through the scores of standardized tests, being the math proficiency score and reading proficiency score.  LZ obtained a 3.0 in math and a 2.8 in reading, both out of a 3.6.

Nightlinger has hopes of climbing the ranks next year, mainly by increasing AP participation throughout all grades.

“We have had conversations about the AP program here, and there are some things we can do differently,” Nightlinger said.  “Some of our department chairs are looking at the courses we offer and possibly increase enrollment in AP.  We want those students who are in all Honors classes to maybe try and give them one opportunity for the high school experience.”

These new AP classes will be proposed to the board at the November board meeting, in hopes of the increase in the AP program in the 2015-2016 school year and rise above 43rd in years to come. School Rank 1