Charity Bash kicks off with Thursday assembly

Charity Bash kicked off Thursday, February 13 with the annual assembly. This year’s proceeds will benefit Special Olympics Illinois.

The assembly started off with Student Council introducing the charity and giving a background on Charity Bash. Student Council played a video featuring students who volunteer with Special Olympics, Special Needs Athletic Program (SNAP), and integrated P.E. These students described the impact of helping people with special needs and how rewarding it is for them, as volunteers, and for the people who compete in Special Olympics.

Ali Thompson, senior, nominated Special Olympics Illinois for Charity Bash. She spoke at the assembly about why she nominated this charity. Her brother, Dylan, has Down Syndrome and has been involved in Special Olympics and SNAP since 2009. She volunteers at Special Olympics, and said it is a very deserving charity because of the impact is has on her, her family, and many people with special needs.

“I think Special Olympics is a great charity for Charity Bash,” Sabina Maniak, senior, said. “There are usually only one or two people in the school affected by a charity. But [Special Olympics] affects so many people. You could really see that at the assembly. Another interesting part of the assembly was when the Special Olympics ambassador spoke. It was very enlightening to see Special Olympics from the perspective of a participant.”

Garrett Anderson, 2007 graduate, spoke at the assembly as a Global Messenger from Special Olympics Illinois. Anderson, who has Down Syndrome, competes in the Special Olympics. He talked about the way Special Olympics has influenced his life.

“Special Olympics is about more than sports. It challenges stereotypes and negative thinking. Special Olympics focuses on what people can do rather they what they can’t, or shouldn’t, or won’t be able to do,” Anderson said at the assembly. “It gives people with cognitive and other disabilities dignity, inclusion, and respect.”

IMG_6105 (Medium) IMG_6162 (Medium) IMG_6179 (Medium) IMG_6211 (Medium)