Forest preserves offering lit up trails

Two different Lake County forest preserves are currently offering new paths that are lit by solar lights and are open later than regular paths.

Lakewood Forest Preserve’s Winter Sports Complex, at the intersection of Fairfield Road and Route 176 in Wauconda, and Old School Forest Preserve, near the intersection E. Park Avenue and S. St. Mary’s Road in Libertyville, are the current locations of the paths. The paths are open from dawn to 9pm. 

“Typically the forest preserves are only open from dawn to sunset. However, when the paths are lit, visitors are welcome to walk the paths until 9pm, which is when those specific paths will be closed. This is the second year of lit paths at Lakewood and the first year at Old School, so we are excited to see how many people use the paths,” Mike Tully, director of operations and public safety for the Lake County forest preserves, said.  

In addition to hiking, the paths can also be used for winter activities, which is why the paths are only open from November to March, Tully said.

“Hiking is the typical use of the paths. During the winter, visitors can cross-country ski if there is enough snow. If there isn’t enough snow, we welcome visitors to bicycle during the day, and dogs are allowed, but they must be leashed,” Tully said.

Besides the use of the paths, people can also  use the sledding hill and the ice skating rink at the Lakewood Winter Sports Complex.

“I really love winter sports, especially things like skiing or sledding. The feeling you get going down the hill is just a sense of quietness and it seems like you’re all by yourself,” Emily Maddox, sophomore and member of the Ski and Snowboard Club, said. “I think it would be really great to be able to hike or ski on a path at night because winter sports are so limited since it’s dark so early during the winter.”

The solar lit paths will be available to all visitors from sunrise to 9 pm at the Lakewood and Old School forest preserves until daylight savings time on March 9.