New thrift store opens in LZ, donates to Epilepsy Foundation

A newly opened thrift store in Lake Zurich helps the community by donating to the Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Chicago.

Savers, a national thrift store chain, recently opened in LZ near the intersection of Rand and Old Rand Roads. Next door to the store is a donation center where people can drop off anything from secondhand clothing to housewares, which is integral to Savers’ charity work.

“We take in a lot of donations, like clothing, books, jewelry, and shoes. And then we weigh the donations and the amount of donations, whether we use them or not, determines how much money we donate to the Epilepsy Foundation,” Josh Chaplo, production manager at Savers, said. “The foundations vary throughout the country. But we try and have all stores donate to a non-profit organization.”

Also, in addition to donating to local organizations, Savers tries to donate to places in need of help.

“The Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Chicago uses the money we donate to them however they like. But if there are any donations we can’t use, we ‘recycle’ them and ship them to under-developed countries,” Katie Turner, senior and Savers employee, said.

If interested in donating to Savers to help the Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Chicago and countries around the world, visit the donation center located next to the store.