Middle school dodge ball tournament raises money for Charity Bash

National Honors Society ran a dodgeball tournament and raised $1,600 for LZHS Charity Bash on November 16.

The dodgeball tournament raised money for the Crohn’s and Colitis foundation. The tournament was held for middle school kids in the field house.This is the third year NHS has ran the dodgeball tournament for Middle School North and Middle School South to compete in.

“There is usually a big turn out because they bring their parents and little siblings to watch the game,” Chris McOmber, NHS sponsor, said.

The NHS students work with the middle schools, and administration, they also set up the courts for the games.

“We had a couple meetings before hand,” Samantha Partriarca, NHS senior, said.

The dodgeball game had 25 teams competing, and each team had around six middle school kids on it. NHS students cheered teams on during the game and helped referee.  

The tournament started at 6pm and lasted until 9pm. Both Middle School North and Middle School South competed for the title of dodge ball champions for 2011. This is the third year in a row that the dodgeball tournament has taken place. Middle School South won the tournament in 2009, and Middle School North took back the title in 2010. Both of the middle schools were determined to win the 2011 tournament.

The dodgeball tournament, though serious fundraising business, also has a lighter side.

“It’s fun and I like dealing with kids,” Partriarca said.

Partriarca even gets a little competitive herself.

“I cheer them on,” Partriaca said, as she was encouraging her team.

NHS students cheered on the 6th graders in Team Monkey as they not only competing against their fellow sixth grade students, but also the older kids.

“We want to beat all the big eighth graders,” Garrett Pahios, Team Monkey 6th grader, said.

An eighth grade team, Team Name, ended up winning the 2011 dodge ball tournament. Team Name was made up of both Middle School North and Middle School South, so both of the middle schools took home the 2011 title.