Suspicious package at LZHS cleared as empty camera case

A suspicious package was found outside the front entrance of LZHS early Monday morning. After thorough examination by police, fire department, and bomb squad personnel, the package was discovered to be an empty video camera case.

Police were called to the school at 5:59am to follow up a report regarding a briefcase-like package outside the front entrance, according to a Lake Zurich Patch article. The police department blocked off the front parking lot as well as the front entrance area. The high school Early Bird classes, which normally begin at 7:00am, were cancelled.

As students arrived, they were told to go through the doors in the back of the building and wait in the cafeteria for an all-clear. Many were confused as to what the situation was.

“A girl in [another] car [in the senior lot] just told me there was a suspicious article in the school and people are allowed to enter through the PAC doors, but some people just don’t want to,” Karina Smolyar, sophomore, said after pulling into the parking lot that morning.

At approximately 7:45am, those students who had not yet entered the building and were either waiting in the senior parking lot or had not left their homes yet were told by administration not to come in to school, according to Maggie Monson, senior.

About halfway through the waiting period, Mitch Berenson, assistant principal of student services, announced the situation to the students in the cafeteria. He explained there had been a suspicious package found by the front entrance. During this time, parents received a recorded phone message stating the same information.

“The Lake Zurich police department, fire department, and bomb squad have been called because of [the suspicious package]. Under their direction, we are sheltering all students within the cafeteria for now. We will update you with further information within the hour,” Berenson said to the students.

Students waiting in the cafeteria were not allowed to leave and no one was allowed in or out of the building during this time. The students were supervised by teachers and other staff members while the police and fire department worked to secure the package.

While waiting, students worked to find ways to occupy themselves and stay calm by talking with friends, doing homework, or even playing music. Tobias James, senior, pulled out his guitar to perform for his friends while they waited for more information.

The bomb squad arrived from Waukegan at 8:50am, according to the District website. At approximately 9:20am, Eric Hamilton, assistant principal of curriculum and instruction, announced the all-clear to the students.

“Thank you for your understanding and patience,” Hamilton said to the students. “[The package] was an empty camera case. At this time, we are asking all teachers and students to report to their second period classes.”

Third period classes resumed in full at LZHS at 10:00am, and the day followed the typical Late Start Monday schedule.