Changes being considered for school dances

The administration is considering possible changes, such as guest policy, dress code, and location, for future dances, as stated in the October newsletter sent out by Kim Kolze, principal.

Ryan Rubenstein, assistant principal for facilities and activities, has the final decision regarding these changes, and said most likely guests would not be allowed at Turnabout.

“We make recommendations for no guests because it becomes a problem, and the guests do not understand out rules,” Rubenstein said.

Kyle McNair, junior, took a Mundelein High School student to Homecoming, and said he finds the change to the guest policy unreasonable because he cannot take who he wants to the dances.

“I think the no guest policy is unfair. I brought my date from another school, and I know friends who have brought dates from other schools too,” McNair said.

According to Rubenstein, the 350 guests at Homecoming pushed the total number of students at the dance to over 1,500, which made the gym overcrowded. The high number of students at the dance prompted the change to the guest policy and also the possible relocation of the dance.

If the size of the group is consistently this large, the dances will be moved to give students more space, Rubenstein said. The location of the dance could be changed from the Main Gym to the Field House, depending on how many students the administration anticipates coming.

“The impact that I’m looking for is that our students can enjoy themselves without having an overcrowded gym,” Rubenstein said. “If we stay with only alumni and students, then we would have the dance in the main gym, and if we have guests come we would move it to the field house.”

Another expected change to the school dances is altering the dress code.

“The way that girls are dancing with the dresses that they have on . . . I think it’s just not appropriate,” Kim Kolze, Principal, said.

According to Kolze, the administration wants to make the dances more appropriate for a school setting. The administration believes that mandating longer dress lengths and modifying the style of dancing would contribute to a more appropriate school dance experience.

“I sent it out in my newsletter asking if the parents had any suggestions on dress code and style of dance. I’ve gotten a few [responses] back only stating that they are glad I’m looking into it,” Kolze said. “What I would like to see is that, as kids are all dressed up, they are dancing appropriately for their dress.”

The administration believes the way students dress influences their behavior, and according to Rubenstein, this is the reason for changing the dress code.

“We, as an administration, feel that because of the way students are dressed, it becomes inappropriate for school,” Rubenstein said. “These rules are not set in stone, but they are under consideration.”