Best Buy presents LZ with money for computers

Best Buy donated $25,000 worth of new computer equipment to LZ from a contest they won over the summer.
The $25,000 was part of a prize package Best Buy received from Intel Corporation. Intel held a regional competition where the Best Buy with the most employee participation in a computer training program won. The winning Best buy got to donate the prize money to a school of their choice.
“We all thought, ‘what better school than Lake Zurich High to receive the prize?’” John Simmons, general manager of Best Buy, said.
Simmons called Kim Kolze, principal, to let her know about the competition and that LZHS would be receiving the award package that Intel Corporation sponsored.

“At first I thought are you for real?” Kolze said. “It would give us more computers. Anytime you can add technology to the school, it gives us all better access to computers.”
Kolze said she had a limited selection of technology to choose from, including laptops, desktops, and projectors.
“We decided to go with laptops, for the library,” Kolze said. “With the laptops, we can have classes using laptops, and students from lunch and study hall using the desktops.”
With the $25,000 budget, LZHS was able to afford 22 new laptops, and with little money left over, Kolze bought one new projector.
LZHS was one of four schools Best Buy had to choose from for receiving the grant. All employees voted for the school of their choice, Lake Zurich winning the majority of the votes.
Best Buy has a high employee percentage of current and former LZHS students, says Simmons. This was a motivation for employees to participate in the online competition and vote for LHS because they knew they would be helping a good cause, Simmons said.
“It is good to know work we did now will still have a positive impact on the school maybe four years from now,” Simmons said.
In addition to the grant, Kildeer Best Buy also won a private event for all associates. The All American Rejects preformed a concert for the employees at the Arlington Park Raceway.