New faculty joins LZHS: Jeanne Engelkemeir

Jeanne Engelkemeir, French teacher, joined the LZHS World Language Department this year as the new AP French teacher. Upon arriving at LZHS, Engelkemeir was impressed with the friendliness and dedication LZHS faculty have for the students.

“I love everyone in our department, and the French teachers all work really well together,” Engelkemeir said. “The teachers genuinely want to prepare students to think critically and be a part of a global citizenship. There also is wonderful interactive activities between faculty and students, such as the Bears Barbeque, and overall, [teachers] really put the students first.”

Engelkemeir’s passion for French started early in her life and only intensified with time.

“I always was fascinated with France as a child because of the romanticism of France, and because French is so amazingly beautiful. In high school we had a large French program, and there was a wonderful exchange student from France, and those were my inspirations,” Engelkemeir said. “I love the way how language really reflects the values of people and is a really great tool to understand other people.”

Engelkemeir said she was inspired to become a French teacher to share her passion for France and the French language with students. Engelkemeir previously worked at Rolling Meadows High School before leaving a full time teaching position to raise her twin children, and is excited to return to teaching at LZHS.

“I think that no matter which subject you teach, when you find something you are passionate about, you love inspiring students to share your passion,” Engelkemeir said. “It’s exciting when students care about the subject, and my students are absolutely fabulous because they are so motivated and enthusiastic.”

Like most teachers, Engelkemeir has expectations for her students, but said the students are so enthusiastic about French they exceed her expectations.

“I expect them to come and focus, bring their best, not be afraid to try, and be responsible for learning the material,” Engelkemeir said. “I want [French class] to have active input and engagement, and not just be a class where they walk in and walk out and forget everything they learned. What they learn in class will shape them to be life long learners and hopefully teach them respect and appreciation for Francophone culture.”