Bear Facts Flashback: Hard hats are still at work on the new wing

Each week, Bear Facts will post an article from a past issue.  These articles can demonstrate what life was like for a high school student in that year.  What seemed important to them that seems commonplace now?  This article ran in December 1993.

By Alyssa Tierney

It is very common to see construction work at the west end of LZHS this year. What lies beyond the concrete walls? The new addition consists of 16 classrooms, office space, special education facilities, new lockers, an atrium, and more.

Students are wondering just what classes will meet in the new wing. National and international human resources, which includes social studies and foreign language, is the largest department in LZHS. Dr. Erck discussed the determination of which classes to relocate, “Because there are so many teachers in that division it makes more sense to move them to the new wing where they have room to spread out and accommodate all their needs. Since it’s a large division, and it’s a large wing so that the numbers would balance out.” Special education classes will also be located in the new wing, which will be uniquely constructed in order to house special ed students.

Windows to the atrium or outside will be a special feature of the new wing. Brand new lockers, similar to the ones in the B wing are planned. Of course, adult and student lavatories will be placed in the new wing. One of the more unique features of the new addition is the atrium. “The atrium will be a very nice setting when done. There will be at least one class gift that will go in the atrium. When the atrium is completed, it will be the kind of setting, where students will want to go. It is our hope that student council will decorate the atrium. Students can relax, enjoy themselves, and eat lunch in the atrium when weather permits,” Dr. Erck stated.

The cafeteria will totally be redone. There will be an additional serving line, and the snack bar will be moved over by the other serving areas. There will also be additional seating because the space where the snack bar, lockers, and faculty lounge are currently located will be opened up. The new cafeteria will lead up to the atrium, where students can also eat.

Also included in the construction of the addition, will be a new IBM lab. The purpose of the lab is for classes, other than computer classes, to have to opportunity to work with computers. English, social studies, science, and other curricular areas will be able to go into the lab and complete experiments or assignments pertinent to their studies.

The construction of the new addition will be completed before the ’94-’95 school year. Next year, students will be scheduled for classes in the new addition. Dr. Erck said, “the outside foundation is on schedule, and will be completed on or around November 1. It will be closed in, so the construction will not cause any other disruptions to the students, except the entrance into the senior hall, currently sealed off, will remain sealed off.

The biggest worry for the students with the wing is the time allotted between classes. However, the five minute passing period will remain. Dr. Erck commented, “We are going to have to be very flexible with the five minutes, and I’ll ask the faculty to understand that.”

The new addition will accommodate the school’s projected enrollment of 1900-2000 students. Dr. Erck commented on his role as principal during this time of expansion, “It’s exciting to be in a place that’s growing. The challenge is to be able to manage growth, and manage it in a rational way that makes sense. That’s what the new wing is about.” As the year progresses, so will the construction at the west end. Next year, students can look forward to the bigger and better LZHS.