Sixth season might be Dexter’s curtain call

Showtime’s serial killer hit Dexter is going strong in its sixth season, but the show’s star might be delivering it to an early grave.

Although the premiere of the newest season garnered more views than any other Showtime series opener in 14 years, Michael C. Hall (Dexter Morgan) has been debating his salary before agreeing to a new contract for Dexter.

Hall asked for a collective $24 million for the next two seasons of Dexter, but Showtime’s highest offer is $20 million. With the sixth season about to wrap up production, the future of the show is in jeopardy if the two sides cannot compromise.

Hall received $350,000 per episode of Dexter for his last contract with Showtime, according to Celebrity Net Worth, making Showtime’s offer almost a $500,000 increase in pay at $850,000 per episode.  Both raises would place Hall as the top paid network actor currently on television.

“I feel like it’s a selfish want, but put in that situation I would want a lot of money, too,” Becca Marshalla, junior and Dexter fan, said.  “I can’t say I hate him for it, but I don’t think he’s being reasonable.  The point of [an actor’s] work is to entertain, so he should be thinking about the audience.”

While some view Hall’s demands for his new contract as selfish, others like Kari Miehlke, senior, think he deserves the raise.

“He’s a great actor, and I think he deserves it,” Miehlke said.  “If I were Showtime, I’d give him the money.”

Even if Showtime attempts to keep the show running without Hall, it would not be the same, according to Miehlke.

“He’s a great actor because of his connection with the character.  He’s really into Dexter’s mind and you can tell,” Miehlke said.  “I don’t see him as Michael, I see him as Dexter, and they wouldn’t be able to replace him.”

Marshalla agrees that Dexter would not be the same without Hall’s portrayal.

“I don’t think anyone can capture the character the same way Michael has,” Marshalla said.  “He’s a sociopath, yet I find myself liking him.  I think that’s an incredibly hard thing to do, and not many people can do it well.”

With season six on the air and no current agreement, Dexter is treading on thin ice.  Showtime executives are still looking at signing Hall for only one more season if the demands cannot be met, and Hall made some hopeful comments in an interview with Kristin Dos Santos of E!.

“I’m still enjoying [working on the show],” Hall said.  “You don’t want to overstay your welcome, but the past six years have really flown by.”