Stand up, honor the U.S.

Students are always pressured for time, whether it is rushing to finish their history notes before lunch ends or trying to fit physics homework in between soccer practice and volunteering for NHS. In the busy life of a high school student, we do not have that much time to rest, but as residents of the United States of America, we should be able to find fifteen seconds in the morning to stand to honor the flag during the Pledge of Allegiance.

It does not matter if you currently hate the president, do not agree with recent budget cuts, are unhappy with the status of abortion, or are not a citizen of the country; it is customary and respectful to stand during that country’s national anthem, pledge, or any other ceremony.  Residents of the US have so much to be grateful for, from the freedom of speech to the right to vote to an appointed attorney if they cannot afford one. We should always keep in mind how many other countries are worse off than we are.

“The flag of the United States is a living symbol that calls to our spirit, reminding us of the greatness of America,” according to the National Flag Foundation’s website. “We cherish and uphold it because it is the standard of honor under which we live.”

When one says stands for the Pledge, he or she is not only honoring the country in and of itself, but all those who have died for it. More than 6,650 American men and women in the military died just in Iraq and Afghanistan as of February 2013, according to Costs of War’s website. Because “without them, [we] wouldn’t enjoy the freedom to gripe, complain, or criticize,” according to the Times-Republican’s website, the least we can do to honor those who died for us is stand for the flag.

“We give homage to the flag because it stands for the courageous, earnest, and unselfish experiences of our people who have given us strength as a nation and pride as citizens,” according to the National Flag Foundation’s website. “We respect our flag because we have respect for our fellow citizens, and because our love for country finds its center in our flag.”

Taking fifteen seconds to stand for the Pledge is an easy way to honor this great country and all those who gave their lives for us. Those fifteen seconds may seem like a long time to lose while taking a geometry test, but in reality, fifteen seconds are not going to keep you from getting an A.

Our school is blessed to have the opportunity to appreciate our country every morning during announcements. Because of the U.S. Supreme Court decision of West Virginia v. Barnette in 1943, no one is required to say any part of the Pledge, but one does not have to recite it to be respectful. Simply standing and removing non-religious hats/hoods is enough to show your honor for the country you should so proudly live in.

Next time the announcements are on, consider what it really means to honor the flag by saying the Pledge. Remember the sacrifices, the freedoms, and the rights, and take a moment not only to think, but to thank.