Athletes take the jump from high school sports to NCAA

Although millions of kids in the nation compete in sports at the high school level, 98 out of 100 students will never play at the collegiate level, according to Georgia State University’s website.

The transition from high school to college is already difficult, according to Healthy Children’s Organization’s website, but student athletes have to balance their academic careers along with the their sport’s demands, which can make a college freshman’s life stressful.

At the beginning of the school year, Vanesa Abad, 2013 graduate and soccer player at Ohio State University, said it was challenging to become accustomed to a student athlete’s life.

“At first I was not used to practicing every single day at such a high intensity, but it does become habit after a couple weeks,” Abad said. “Also, the college courses are more challenging than in high school.  Personally, I had to get surgery on my foot during the first week of school so that was especially hard on me when trying to find my role on the team as a freshman and injured player. The tutors and upperclassmen helped me adjust and get accustomed.”

Unlike Abad, Jerry Bauer, 2013 graduate and football player at Washington University in St. Louis, does not have tutors at his aid, but has found his teammates to be the most helpful.

“A lot of the guys, [my teammates], are in the same classes as me, so we find time to work through homework and study together,” Bauer said. “It is most convenient because we have similar schedules. Also, time management is key. It is hard to force myself to hit the books after coming back tired from practice, so it is something I’ve had to work at. There are a lot of distractions in college, so I’ve had to learn how to prioritize every aspect of my life and allocate time accordingly.”

With the commitment to their sports, student athletes may find themselves sacrificing their study time or free time.

“When we traveled for away games [during the season], I had to miss class on Fridays and it was difficult to get work done on the road. I did my best to stay ahead, but I often found myself playing catch up on Sunday,” Bauer said. “I don’t think I’ve missed out on a social life in any way. Instead, playing a sport has increased my social life. I instantly had a hundred guys on the team I knew, and also a bond with the other athletes as well.”

While Abad and Bauer have already made the leap to college athletics, 24 seniors will face the challenge next school year. Three college bound athletes took the time to share the sports they will play and how they think they will adjust to the collegiate level.

Kiley McPeek, volleyball, Cornell University

Q: How will you balance your sport and schoolwork?

A: “At Cornell they have rules set up where you have to have specific times studying or after our season is done they give us a certain amount of time off to catch up on our work. There are tutors for the team if you’re struggling with your classes. I am so used to having a busy schedule with playing club volleyball and having to take AP classes that I have learned to manage my time already.”

Q: What are you excited or nervous about?

A: “I am excited to travel and visit other campuses. I am excited to become close with my teammates because I have heard that those teammates become your best friends for life. I am a bit nervous about the commitment level of it because even when you are not practicing all the time you have to do lifting and conditioning during the offseason. So I know it will be a big time commitment and I will have to miss out on some parts of the college experience, but I think I will get a lot more out of what I am doing with the team than just missing that one party.”

Q: Do you plan on playing after college?

A: “I was thinking about it. If I were to play after college, it would be in beach volleyball instead of regular volleyball. Because if you want to play indoor volleyball professionally you have to go overseas because we don’t have any professional teams here. But for beach volleyball there are professional programs over here and they always hosts tournaments in Chicago, so I think that would be more realistic option.”

Dave Brown, tennis, Calvin College

A: “D3 makes it more rounded towards schools, so if any time I need to focus on school, they are completely fine with me just taking off for a little and getting my grades up. So I find it is going to be easy and I have managed all four years in high school with my different sports [cross country, basketball, and tennis]. I didn’t do cross country sophomore or junior year, but I am pretty used to being an athlete year round, which is expected at the college.”

Q:  What are you excited or nervous about?

A: “D3 [schools] do not own you like D1 athletes, but I may have some time management conflicts. I may have to sacrifice something that I want to do so that I can play tennis and become the best that I can be. I am not the first college athlete in my family, so I have people to go to. My dad played college tennis and half a year of basketball at Harper College and Northeastern Illinois University. My brother plays tennis outside of school and also teaches. He wants to play in college, but right now Harper does not have a tennis team, but if he goes somewhere else, he will probably play. But my dad was the one who was telling me to go out and meet coaches. He has been the one coaching me in tennis and basketball for forever.”

A: “For fun, I might teach tennis a little bit. I also might help coach basketball because I also love that. I will probably continue to play at my tennis club.”

Maddie Minneci, softball, Bucknell University

A: “I think I will be able to balance schoolwork and my sport pretty well because I have good grades now. But unlike some other colleges, Bucknell does not have tutors for athletes, unless if you pay for one. If someone on your team has the same major you could work with them. But there aren’t real tutors, so that may be difficult. I am in a lot of AP and Honors classes right now, so I hope that will help. My coaches now are crazy and we have a lot of practice hours, so I am not worried about the time commitment.”

A: “I am really excited to go to college and have the college experience, but I am even more excited to be a part of a close team. When I visited the campus, the team seemed really close, which is cool. But I am nervous because it is 15 hours away. I know a few girls from other teams I have competed against who are going to Bucknell, but it is going to be a whole different environment. I am a bit nervous about managing my time too because college sports are on a different level.”

A: “I do not plan on playing after college. There aren’t that many options after college because there are few leagues. There are adult club teams I could always be open to though. But hopefully I will have a good job. I want to make sure my job is my first priority and if I have time left I will consider playing for fun.”