Two athletes up for Tribune vote

First came Ben Klett, then Allie McIlwain, and now another two LZHS athletes have paved their way to the Chicago Tribune.  Senior varsity basketball player Brad Kruse and freshman varsity bowler Amanda Tarlos have been nominated for March.

​Each will be running against Kathleen Felicelli, basketball player at Carmel Catholic High School, and McKenzie Kehr, gymnast at Mundelein High School.  The four will be voted on through the Chicago Tribune website for the next three weeks, and the winner will receive a $500 donation to the athletic department as well as “bragging rights of being featured in and online,” according to Chicago Tribune’s website.

​When nominated, each student’s nominator had to include a reason as to why the individual should win. For Kruse, his numbers on the court were the reason for his recognition.

​“Brad had 17 points, 9 rebounds against Mundelein High School on Friday, February 21,” said his biography on the voting webpage.  “He also had 12 points, 13 rebounds versus Highland Park in the Bears’ overtime win.”

​Performance seems to be something LZHS has to offer in all sports, as Tarlos is also described by her talents she showed during her season.

​“The freshman bowler showed she is going to be a force in the coming years after she was the lone player from her team to qualify for sectional play,” said her biography on the voting webpage.

​Voting begins now and will close at noon on March 18.  If you would like to vote, use the link below.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/mundelein/athletes/chi-triblocal-readers-athlete-of-the-month-mundelein-lake-zurich-20140225,0,4588843.htmlstory