YMCA to undergo expansion

The Foglia YMCA of Hawthorn Woods is currently in the process of approving a new $3 million expansion.

The new 9,000 square foot expansion plan, which the village is currently permitting, includes a new second gym and two additional multipurpose classrooms to be added in an effort to accommodate more members. The YMCA hopes to begin building by the end of spring, with a possible completion date before the end of the year.

Recently the YMCA has rented rooms and gyms at different locations throughout the Lake Zurich area for youth sports programs and classes. The YMCA has not been able to hold these programs at its own facility because of limited gym and court use due to overcrowding. By adding the expansion, these programs should be brought back to the facility all under one roof, according to the YMCA’s website.

The new classrooms will be used for activities such as fitness and aerobics classes, youth programs, or specialty classes.

The expansion also includes plans to expand the existing Fitness Room and office spaces, reconstruction of the parking lot, and increasing and adding to the existing pool. These plans will take place over the next twenty years, according to the Wight Company’s website.

Most of the money needed to build the expansion was donated by Vince Foglia, who has previously given large donations to various YMCA’s and for whom the facility was named. The rest of the money will be covered by community fundraisers. Members of the Foglia YMCA will not have to pay higher rates to cover the costs of construction.

Although use of the facility will be restricted during construction of the new gym and classrooms, members can visit the Buehler YMCA in Palatine or the Sage YMCA in Crystal Lake.