Boys’ wrestling goes to state

Three varsity senior wrestlers are competing at this year’s State wrestling competition at University of Illinois Urbana- Champaign. The wrestlers will participate in a three day tournament, starting on Thursday and ending on Saturday night, for the chance to be awarded with a medal and all-state recognition.

Alex Zurawski, Brandon Arteaga, and Sean Lynch, seniors, are competing in their designated weight class for the top six places to receive a medal and an All-State title. To qualify for State, each wrestler has to rank in the top three at regionals to get to sectionals. Once at sectionals, the wrestler needs to make top four at sectionals to move on to State.

Brandon Arteaga

After twelve years of wrestling, this is Arteaga’s first time going to State, and he is currently wrestling in the 145 pounds weight class. He has won conference twice, regionals once, and has wrestled for Team Illinois and competed in national tournaments.

“My favorite thing about wrestling [is] the amazing people you meet and the relationships you build,” Arteaga said. “I’m looking forward to a fun experience with my teammates and coaches, and hopefully coming back with a medal.”

As for wrestling after he graduates, Arteaga is currently undecided about whether or not he will continue to wrestle in college.

“[Wrestling has] been such a huge part of my life and has made me into the type of person I am today,” Arteaga said.

Sean Lynch

“I’m most excited to be able to finish my [wrestling] career on a high note,” Lynch said. “I love the fact that [wrestling is] one on one and you can’t put any blame on other people except yourself.”

Lynch currently is wrestling at 152 pounds and has been wrestling for eleven years. This is the third year he has qualified for State, and he has won conference twice, regionals three times, and sectionals once. In college, Lynch has chosen to play football, but says wrestling has impacted his life and he will miss it.

“Wrestling has taught me so many valuable lessons on how to be a better person, and has brought me so many awesome life experiences. That’s what I’ll miss the most [about wrestling],” Lynch said. “It [has] taught me that with hard work, I can accomplish whatever I want.”

Alex Zurawski

Wrestling for seven years, this is Zurawski’s third time qualifying for State, one time during middle school, sophomore year, and now. During his sophomore year, he placed third at freshman/sophomore State.  This year, Zurawski is wrestling at 195 pounds.

“I love being able to watch and wrestle the best competition in the state,” Zurawski said.

Zurawski says he would love to wrestle in college, but does not know where yet. One of his favorite parts about going to State is being around the team for four days while competing.

“I love the fact that it’s the toughest sport in the world and sometimes just finishing a takedown is super rewarding,” Zurawski said. “I think it would be awesome if wrestling got more TV time during the Olympics, World Championships, NCAA Championship, and the State Tournament.”