Winter guard competes this weekend, aims to qualify for State

The LZ winter guard team will be competing at Lakes Community High School, this Sunday, January 19, in hopes for qualifying their second routine of the year for state.

The team has already had one of their routines qualify to perform, which is their Winter Guard Show performance, “To Build a Home.” However, they only have two competitions left in the season to get their second routine, “Live and Let Die” State-worthy.

“We are still definitely working on [the routines],” Libby Reimann, winter guard coach, said. “We learned it in December, and then we had the holidays, then a good chunk of the team went to Spain with the band, so we went a full two weeks without practice.  We’re working very hard on this routine to make sure it’s ready.”

Their first routine that has already qualified is something new to the team, because it is a more serious piece.  It portrays the story of a family building a home, but a member of the family passes away, leaving the home changed irreparably.

On the other hand, their second routine that has yet to qualify is a more tough women spy performance, relating to James Bond in a way, according to Reimann.

LZ will be competing against eight teams on Sunday with their first routine and against seven with their second, and they need to score an 82 percent, out of 100 percent, in order to qualify for State.