Principal Kolze to retire

After 28 years as an educator Kim Kolze, principal, has announced her retirement following current school year.

“I’m nervous, yet excited about my retirement,” Kolze said. “I’ve been waking up in the morning thinking, ‘wow, this is really happening.’ It breaks my heart to leave this school.”

Kolze has been working at LZHS for ten years as an administrator.

“I can remember my first day of work at Lake Zurich perfectly,” Kolze said. “As soon as I walked through the doors. I knew this was a great place.”

During her ten years at LZHS, Kolze served as assistant principal of facilities and activities for six years and principal for four years.

“I really enjoyed my job as assistant principal because it gave me the opportunity to get out into the school community and meet lots of the kids,” Kolze said. “There are a lot of things I feel that I started as assistant principal, at the building and have been able to continue.”

While serving as principal and assistant principal, Kolze enhanced the graduation ceremony, formed the Student Leadership Team, started class signature walls, changed prom rules and activities, added academic courses, and has helped upgraded the school technology.

“I really tried hard to make sure that this is a place students wanted to learn in and had fun learning here,” Kolze said. “I wanted the students here to be happy as well.”

Kolze describes her experience at Lake Zurich as life changing and a time in her life that will stay with her forever.

Before working at LZHS Kolze started her career as a Physical Education teacher at Proviso West High School and then later at Wheeling High School. After teaching at Wheeling High School for several years, Kolze decided to take time off to raise her four children, who attended LZHS.

“I really needed to be with my children to see them grow up,” Kolze said, “but I couldn’t stay away from teaching for long.”

Kolze returned to education as an aide at Barrington High School in a computer lab, teaching language arts to high risk students. From there Kolze went to Grayslake High School as a math teacher and later became a Dean of Students at Grayslake.

“You kids and your energy is what keeps me feeling young and loving my job,” Kolze said. “One of my favorite parts as serving as principal has been working with the students of Lake Zurich. The energy can be felt by anyone that walks through the doors of this building. It’s the school spirit and the positive attitudes that make this school a fantastic place.”