Lisa show winners continue to ‘best of the best’ show

Students who won the school wide Life is simply art (Lisa) show in January will compete in a best of the best Lisa show against the other schools in the Chicago area on May 20.

Students entered their work to compete with each other in the January show in the five categories: photography, sculpture, drawing, painting, and computer graphics. Then the teachers choose from the pool of work the best five best pieces to compete in each category. After presenting students present their pieces, five winners from each category are chosen to continue on to the best of the best Lisa show within the month.

In the five categories, Sammy Padiak, senior, won in photography; Claire Kolze, senior, won in sculpture; Bart Gasiorek, senior, won in drawing, Laura Bellany, senior, won in painting; and Johnathan Petrov, senior, won in computer graphics.

“The Lisa show is different than other art shows, because it has a more competitive aspect.” Lisa Covelli, art teacher, said. “With all the other art shows, there are prizes but it’s not like you are competing with the other students in the show, and trying to get to the next round.”

If the student places in the best of the best show, they can win up to a $1000 scholarship.

“The Lisa show is especially exciting because students can win a scholarship,” Covelli said.          

Bellamy felt honored she won the painting category because she did not think she even had a chance to place in the competition.

“I was excited to see my piece win because I really didn’t expect to win,” Bellamy said. “There were a lot of goo pieces, and they were really good. It was a pleasant surprise.”