Tech Campus offers new classes

The Tech Campus will be offering a class on Photonics, the science of light manipulation, for Juniors and seniors interested. In the class, students will study the emission, detection, and manipulation of light.
Joanne Hughes, curriculum director at tech campus, said the class will give the students a greater understanding of light, its properties, and how to apply them to a job in the military or industrial field..
“[During the class], students will study the all these properties of light and how to apply them in the modern day work for their future,” Hughes said. “Many factories are starting to use this technology to help them build their products, and the military uses are also being studied.”

Photonics is a growing field of study because of the rapid growth it is becoming more applicable to industrial and everyday life, according to Hughes.

“Photonics is not a new field,” Huges said, “but the field has been having some growth with the uses of lasers in an industrial setting, along with other work places.”

The class will cover all technical aspects of light across the whole spectrum from ultraviolet to mid-infrared.

“Students will study the entire light spectrum and how to use them for telecommunication, industry, laser transmission, and so on,” Hughes said. “The class has a really cool modern application that is in almost every field.”

Chris Calmous, circuit board factory owner, uses photonics in his factory to operate equipment and create fine lines in his circuitry.
“My workers use photonics all the time,” Calmous said. “Most of our machinery needs to be remote operated, and we use infrared light to transmit information between machines. We also use it to make fine lines in the circuitry.”