Operation CLick raffles off cars

How does winning a new car sound to you? LZHS and Operation Click will provide this opportunity to one student.

Operation Click is an organization devoted to seatbelt use and safety. Their goal is to encourage and protect teen drivers from dangers on the road, according to Operation Click’s website. This year’s Operation Click event will take place in January 7, 2012 during both girls’ and boys’ varsity basketball home games.

“We’ll be selling raffle tickets during both the boys’ and girls’ games, but the winner will be chosen during the boys’ halftime,” Ryan Rubenstein, assistant principal of student activities and facilities, said. “The person drawn from the raffle will then have 30 seconds to shoot one free throw, three-pointer and half-court shot, and make all three in order to win the car, and you have to be present at the event. You have to be there when [and if] your name is called.”

The event is meant to encourage road safety through teens by offering a large prize to those who are responsible drivers.

One of Operation Click’s sponsors at LZHS will draw one name for the chance to compete to win the car.

“Anyone can participate, as long as the purchase a raffle ticket and their name is drawn. There aren’t any really any qualifications, but you’ve got to have a driver’s license, which usually disqualifies freshman,” Dawn Chorney, English teacher, said. “We also do a background check of the winning student’s driving record in order to see if he or she is eligible to win the car.”

Rubenstein, Chorney and Meghan Netzel, English teacher, are the three main faculty members who head Operation Click. Students also involved in Operation Click include seniors Gabrielle Luurs, Wyatt Spector, Kendall Beaver, and Gretchen Schmiesser. The students attend monthly meetings, help fundraise and promote the club, and are required to make a video promoting safe driving at the end of the school year.

Since students will be awarded with the prize, “the car is totally free to the winner,” Chorney said. “They don’t even need to pay tax.”

Along with being tax free, Marquette Buick and GMC, the car dealer this year, will provide car insurance for the students.

Operation Click hopes that rewarding students for their driving will encourage them to drive responsibly and safely every day.