Ela library updates technology

The Ela Area Public Library has undertaken some major renovations to the technology available to library members.

Technology changes include free music downloads, e-readers to checkout, and live homework help online. The library is also building a new Audiovisual and Digital Media Lab.

“I will definitely be using the new music database. I just really wish I could have more than only three songs per week,” Tasha Meehan, sophomore, said. “Still though, this is a great way to save money.”

The library is offering free MP3 music downloads through the library’s website. This new feature is available through an online music database called Freegal music. The new service has over 400,000 songs for free download.

The weekly download limit gives Ela Library members up to three free MP3 songs per week. To get started, the only information a member needs is the library card number and PIN number located on the back of the card.

Items that users download through the website goes to the member’s computer and is his or hers to keep.

The Ela Area Public Library also has many other free downloadable items, such as audio books and eBooks, which is put onto a portable device such as iPod, iPad, PDA, or MP3 player, and also burned onto a CD. Nook E-Readers are also available for check out, with books preloaded onto the device.

Linked to the Ela website, the Ela library will be running a service to give students online tutoring sessions via chat room. The chat rooms offer a real tutor to help students with any subject.

The biggest challenge and change Ela library is undertaking is creating the new Audiovisual and Media Lab. The new lab will have the tools to explore creativity, imagination, and innovation.

Patrons of the Ela Library will now have the opportunity to create podcasts, make and edit movies, mix or create songs, edit photos, and use many other media.

“I have always wanted to be able to create my own website or just play with songs, but I never had the tools to do those types of things,” Cyntha Stebbins, sophomore, said. “I visit the library a lot and I will definitely be checking it out.”

Renovations begin in September and will be completed later in the Fall.