Seth Paine celebrates 50th birthday

Seth Paine Elementary School recently celebrated their 50th birthday, and like any other birthday, the day wasn’t complete without a party.

“We had to decide how we wanted to celebrate turning 50 so we looked at options and decided on getting a DJ,” Beth Slaughter, head of planning committee and PTO president, said. “We met probably three times over the summer and got volunteers for it and it all kind of came together today.”

With over 50 volunteers and 400 RSVPs to attend the picnic, Slaughter called the picnic “an overwhelming success.” Due to the success, Slaughter is planning on organizing another event next year.

“We’re definitely thinking we’ll want to navigate an event like this for a back to school picnic at the beginning of every year,” Slaughter said. “Celebrating [the 50th year] kicked it off, but not waiting until we’re 75 or 100.”

As far as events at the picnic, Slaughter and volunteers were able to get Sonic to make concessions for the day, hired a DJ, and had a dunk tank.

“We worked through all the issues [at the meetings] and decided we wanted to do a DJ and a dunk tank. Mr. Shapiro [Seth Paine principal] volunteered to be dunked, because what kid doesn’t want to dunk their principal?”

Slaughter said the event could not have been coordinated alone. With all of her volunteers she said “everyone did their thing and it came together today.”