PAC drop off causes problems

PAC+drop+off+causes+problems+

Students being picked up and dropped off near the PAC are causing many issues for the faculty, Kim Kolze, principal, said.

The Administration has tried to put a stop to picking up and dropping of by the PAC because it is a safety hazard for many reasons. When students cross through the bus lane to get picked up by their parents, the busses might not be able to see them, causing an unsafe environment for the students, Kolze said.

“The biggest reason why we don’t allow picking up and dropping off by the PAC is because of the busses,” Kolze said. “If kids are crossing in front of the busses it causes and unsafe environment for the students because sometime the bus drivers might not be able to see them.”

There have also been instances when parents are speeding through the faculty parking lot to pick up their kids, and teachers walking to their cars almost get run over, Kolze said.

“Administration has put the rules in newsletters, signs are located in the back of the school saying students are not allowed to be picked up and dropped of there, there are security guards standing near the PAC before and after school,  the school also locks the doors after the last bus pulls in,” Kolze said.

The security guards are doing all they can to help assist administration is ending the problem by informing the parents not to use the PAC parking lot.

“When I see a parent that is picking up their kid after school I go to the parent and advise them to not pick up and drop off their kid by the PAC anymore,” LaGretta McGee, security guard, said.

If drivers get stopped by security, security won’t give drivers tickets but they will advise drivers to pick up and drop off students in the front.

“We understand that it is faster and easier to be picked up and dropped off in the back of the school, but it causes problems for busses and teachers walking to their cars,” Kolze said.

There are many reasons why students get dropped of in the back of the school. For the most part it’s because it is more convenient for the students and the parents, students claim.

“The reason I like to get dropped of in the back is because it is close to my locker,” Aly Balut, freshman, said. “It is also more convenient for my mom because there is so much traffic in the front of the school.”

Kolze said they made the circle drive in the front of the school so students can be picked up and dropped off somewhere safely. Even though there, is traffic in the front of the school and it takes a while to drive through there it is a rule that administration enforces.

Although students are prohibited to be picked up and dropped off by the PAC during school hours, according to administration, students are allowed to be picked up by the PAC anytime after 4pm.