First ever Mother’s-Day-inspired lacrosse practice

The girls' and boys' Varsity Lacrosse practices are going to be more re(lax)ed than usual this Friday as they will host their Mother's-Day-inspired practice.

Megan Monoson, Cover Editor

Both girls and boys Varsity Lacrosse will have a more re(lax)ed practice this Friday as the first ever Mother’s-Day-Inspired practice takes place .

Both the girls’ and boys’ Varsity Lacrosse teams have invited their moms’ or someone of their choice to join them in a fun practice and learn more about the sport.

“My coach did it for us when we were in high school, and my mom came and she loved it. [She] still has the picture of her wearing the lacrosse helmet,” Michael Sutton, head varsity coach of boy’s lacrosse, said. “It’s an hour long, and we have a cameraman. We will start off with a Jeopardy-type game of the lacrosse terms that we use and help them try to understand the game a little bit.”

In order to also help the guests understand the game, according to Sutton, the team will also teach them their “main play” known as “Boston” and even have the guests try scoring at the end.

“The final thing we will do is put the player in the net, and then the mom [or guest] will get a try to score and shoot the ball past them,” Sutton said. “Then the cameraman will come over. They don’t have to do it, but if they want to wear the helmet then the mom puts the helmet on, they stand next to [their] kid, and they take a picture.”

In general, the boys spend more time with their buddies and the team than anyone else, according to Kole Keller, senior boys captain, so he says “it’s a good way to get all of the moms and the guys together.” He also has confidence in his mom and says he think she “will do pretty well.”

“My brother and I have both played lacrosse for several years, so she’s kind of learned from watching us. We taught her how to pass, and I think she’s excited,” Keller said. “It’s something that hasn’t really happened before, so it’s kind of new. No one really knows what’s going to happen or how it’s going to go. It’ll be funny more than anything I think for a lot of us [when we] see what our parents do and [when they] realize it’s a lot harder than they think it is at times.”

Overall, the experience is supposed to “give back” to the team’s fans that are always cheering at games.

“I think it’s important that we are taking a little bit of time out of practice [to] have some fun and get the moms involved because it’s Mother’s Day, and they are the majority of our fans it’s nice to kind of give back to them,” Sutton said. “I just know that the moms are going to enjoy themselves, and they’re going to be smiling. It is going to be something that, as we move forward year to year to year, people will look forward to and talk about it even more.”