LZHS graduates give advice about adjusting to college

High schoolers, especially seniors, are looking ahead to the future and wondering what it holds.  The more students know about their future, hopefully the less worried they will be. In that spirit, Bear Facts questioned LZHS graduates about their lives at college and their advice for high school students to adjust to a new life.

Name: Kevin Logan

School: MissouriUniversity

Year: Freshman

Major: Journalism

What is something you packed but didn’t need?

Before I left for college, I went out and bought a TV for my room that I still haven’t used. The only TV I watch is Netflix or anything that’s on in the lounge.

How did you find a roommate?

I knew my roommate from working at a country club back home. We used to get along pretty well, but he moved out, so I guess we didn’t get along as well as I had thought.

Was it hard to adjust to living with a roommate?

The hardest part about living with someone is the little things like remembering to turn off the lights if they’re sleeping, not having the volume too loud, not having people over if they’re doing homework, and things that you normally don’t have to think about when going about your day.

How do you solve problems with your roommate?

Make a compromise. When we moved in, we agreed that I would sleep in the top bunk, but then my roommate would have to get anything for me while I was in bed.

Name: Emily Ekl

College: PurdueUniversity

Year: Sophomore

Major: Sociology

How did you find a roommate?

I went random freshman year. We didn’t not get along, but we honestly probably exchanged less than 100 words the whole year. She was a sweet girl, but we never ate a meal together or hung out. If I see her, I say ‘hi,’ but I never talk to her. It could’ve been worse. I’ve heard horror stories.

I grew up with a twin sister, so sharing things wasn’t a problem for me. Not that me and my roommate shared things anyway. Mostly it’s just there’s always someone there and you are never alone.

If you have a problem, say it. Don’t wait and have the problem annoy you all semester. That’s when you get in a fight.

Will you join a sorority?

I don’t think so. All my friends are in one, so it’s a little hard because they’re busy with things, but I am busy, too.

How do you balance  extracurriculars with school?

It’s sometimes hard to balance. The important thing is finding something you like to do and you are willing to spend your time doing. If you spend all of college just studying, you’re going to hate it.

Was it hard making friends? Advice?

It was kind of hard. It was awkward for me. A lot of my high school friends I’ve known since elementary school, so making new friends was a completely new concept. But I realized that everybody else doesn’t know anyone either. You have to realize that the first people you talk to aren’t necessarily going to be your best friends.

Name: Nick Connell

College: MichiganStateUniversity

Year: Junior

Major: Geology

How did you find your roommate?

Well, for last year I met my roommate freshmen year in the dorms. My roommate this year I met freshmen year as well, and we became friends. For my freshmen year roommate, I went in random. I was a little worried about it. You don’t know who you’re going to get, especially at a big university like MSU. We weren’t really the same, the same personality, but it ended up really well. I actually still talk to him to this day. But it doesn’t happen for everyone.

I wouldn’t say it was hard to adjust to a roommate. I look at it in the sense that meeting someone new is an opportunity to make a new friend, a lifelong friend. As long as you go into it with a good attitude, you’ll be fine.

What is something you can’t live without?

Something I personally wouldn’t want to lose going into college was my friends from high school. You go into it worrying about spending a lot of time away from them, but if you make an effort to keep in touch and they make an effort to keep in contact with you, you realize who your true and lifelong friends are. I’m still good friends with many of my friends made in high school.

Was it hard making friends since you didn’t know many people?

I had a lot of anxiety about making friends, but I found that it’s simple to make friends in college. Especially in the dorms, there are people around you at all times and there’s always people doing the same thing as you and trying to make connections like you. I found it easy to make friends in college.

Are you in a fraternity?

I chose not to participate in Greek life. MSU has a large Greek life, one of the largest in the country, but since I was able to make such close friends early in college, I didn’t feel the need to rush a fraternity. I didn’t want to give part of my dignity in order to be a part of something that more or less is just a social circle.

How often did you eat in the dining hall versus going out?

I always had options freshman year to eat in any of the dining halls, and I probably ate in the dining halls most meals. It was part of the package, and it was very convenient to walk in and have food ready. I ate out occasionally. Going out with friends was a good way to meet people and talk to people, but it comes at a price. You have to keep a budget for yourself because going out to eat gets expensive.

Name: Lindsay Krueger

College: University of Texas

Year: Senior

Major: Finance

When did you join your sorority?

I rushed sophomore year. Freshman year I did sports. I was a rower. I decided that was too much for me, so I quit and joined a sorority. I had a very different lifestyle freshman to sophomore year. I think I’m happy I got to feel that it was like to not be in one and be in one. If I would’ve known freshman year what a sorority was like, I would’ve joined freshman year.

What do you like about being in a sorority?

I like the camaraderie, meeting new people, the community, and it’s nice to have a home base with people always in it, a place where you always have friends to come home to. It’s a good way to make a big group of friends quickly.

Would you recommend joining a sorority to other people?

Yeah, I would. It’s definitely not for everyone, but the Greek community fosters great things, like higher GPAs, more involvement in the community, more school spirit. I think a lot of times Greek life is associated with negative things, but I don’t think that’s necessarily true. The benefits far outweigh the costs, and overall it’s a great thing.

Is it hard balancing school, a job, and extracurricular activities?

As long as you learn time management skills early in college, it’s easy to balance. I think people that are involved do better in school because they are more active and they care.

I think since I knew no one it helped. I was so far outside my comfort zone so I was willing to talk to anyone. I didn’t have the comfort of a few friends from high school. I had an easy time freshman year because I had nothing to lose. I go to a massive school, so I can’t speak for smaller schools, but I would say to join things. It’s hard to make friends sitting in class. Get involved in extracurriculars and find something you love doing. You don’t make friends sitting in class like in high school.

What was your study abroad experience like?

I studied abroad in Vienna, Austria. It’s common, especially in the business school. It was the best experience in my life. I still miss it every day. I went to 14 countries while I was abroad. I was in Europe for six months and met some of my best friends. It was an amazing experience.