Tables turned in reverse classrooms

For centuries, teachers have been using the typical teaching methods of lecturing and teaching their students in the classroom, but some teachers are beginning to test the waters with the concept of the reversed classroom.

“The whole purpose of [the reversed classroom] is [the] lectures you [usually would] take notes on in class, you’re doing [the lectures] at home instead, so it’s expanding the classroom,” said Steve Jerentina, social studies department head. “If you [watch the lectures] at home, there are more [activates] we can do in class, and we can address the things you don’t really understand [during the] class.”

Teachers provide prerecorded videos of themselves teaching the lesson that is normally taught in class. Students are then able to access the video from home. Certain teachers have supplementary assignments along with the video assignment; Jerentina requires his junior U.S. History students to answer questions after watching his lectures.

“It puts a lot more responsibility on the students to make sure they are keeping up with watching the videos at home,” J.B. Hanson, math teacher, said. “The system breaks down if the activities that should be going on at home do not.”

Success of this teaching technique is based off whether or not the students watch the lectures. If not, the next day’s class activates fall through.

“I thought it worked well if you kept on top of your work,” said Kunal Kothari, sophomore and Hanson’s student. “The only time people would struggle in class was if they didn’t do the notes or get the in-class assignments done because then it was like double the homework.”

Hanson used this teaching method for the first two weeks of the second semester before stopping in his sophomore CP Geometry class. Jerentina, however, will continue to use the reversed classroom for the rest of the year after seeing the students’ positive responses to the lecture videos.

“I’ve seen a definite difference in how students are performing on tests. I’m starting to see when I ask questions more people have a good foundation of knowledge from doing [the reversed classroom],” Jerentina said.

Alexa Larson, junior and Jeretina’s student, said she has learned the material better than before since her class started doing the reverse classroom. If having to choose between the regular teaching method and the reversed classroom, Larson preferred the reversed classroom.

“I like the fact that we listen to lectures at home because you can be more thorough and take your time,” Larson said.

While some students grasped the concept of the reverse classroom, others did not adjust as easily. Hanson stopped using this technique shortly after starting since he noticed more students were struggling with the reversed classroom then succeeding.

“A lot of the students craved that [idea of] ‘stand up in front of me and tell me what I need to know’,” Hanson said. “Change is difficult.”

Both teachers agree that some students find this method to be more helpful. The reversed classroom allows the teacher to work one on one with the students and individualize instructions. This helps a handful of students to be more successful on tests and quizzes and with understanding the material but can cause confusion for others.

“I mean, it’s a good concept and all, it’s just not for me. I’d rather be taught by the teacher than teach myself,” said Kevin Hamilton, sophomore and Hanson’s student.

“[The reversed classroom] confused me.”

Students likeHamiltonwho do not find the reverse classroom beneficial may have to adjust to the different method of teaching since Jerentina believes the reversed classroom will start appearing more at LZHS as iPads begin to phase into the classrooms within the next couple of years.

“Its something I’m going to continue to use,” Jerentina said. “To what extent? I’m still trying to figure out.”