LZHS graduate sings his way to the Middle East

Patrick+Kilbride%2C+2007+graduate%2C+preforms+in+Sweeney+Todd+at+the+Aspen+Music+Festival.+Kilbride+will+be+singing+opera++in+Muscat%2C+Oman+this+October.+
Patrick Kilbride, 2007 graduate, preforms in Sweeney Todd at the Aspen Music Festival. Kilbride will be singing opera in Muscat, Oman this October.

An LZHS graduate recently read a statistic he deems pretty scary. Out of all the college graduates who pursue their dreams of singing professionally, only about 1 percent of these hopefuls will attain a level where they will be able to get work and support themselves.

Lately, however, alumni Patrick Kilbride is proving he can defy the odds, as he will be singing Opera in Muscat, Oman this October.

“It feels like a dream to be paid to do what I love,” Kilbride said. “Singing is the best way I know how to express myself.”

Kilbride’s dream of singing developed at LZHS, where he was involved in various choirs and musicals such as concert choir, Bare Voices, and productions of Godspell and Urinetown. Although he was first drawn to aspirations of musicals and singing on Broadway, Kilbride discovered throughout his high school career that he had a particular ability to sing opera.

“It wasn’t always obvious to us that this was his thing,” Glenn Kilbride, Patrick’s father, said. “But when he was a kid, we got a call from the choir director saying, ‘your kid’s really talented’, and over time it has become apparent Patrick has a unique gift.”

Ever since Patrick Kilbride discovered his talent, he has worked toward recognizing his dream.

“I immersed myself in the drama department,” Patrick Kilbride said. “And now, having gone through high school, I realize how much my training through Nick Juknelis, Chris Misik, and Laurel Carver has prepared me for a career after high school.”

Kilbride describes LZHS as a great time and a foundation to move forward and deal with the various obstacles that come with singing professionally.

“There are financial and personal struggles involved,” Kilbride said.

These struggles, however, cannot quite compare with the situation Kilbride faced in January 2012.

“I wasn’t feeling that well over Christmas break [while competing his graduate degree at University of Maryland], and I was having trouble breathing,” Kilbride said. “When I went to the campus doctors, they had me go to the hospital and get an EKG.”

Upon closer review, doctor determined that Kilbride would have to have emergency heart surgery and have two heart valves replaced.

“I just broke out in tears,” Kilbride said. “We were on thin ice here.”

There was a looming possibility that he “might not make it.” Just six days after hearing the news, Kilbride went into emergency surgery on February 10.

“It was miraculous,” Kilbride said. “Recovering in the hospital was one of the hardest experiences of my life, but I felt this peace…going through and coming out on the other side.”

Kilbride said the love and support he received while recovering was astonishing.

“People I didn’t even know were praying for me,” Kilbride said. “It’s those people who gave me the energy and time that give me the most strength.”

Kilbride says his experience also helped him gain a new perspective, especially in his career.

“I think I’ve even more thankful for the gift of music in my life,” Kilbride said. “I feel freer to take more artistic risks, and I work even harder than I did before because I understand how precious life is.”

With that knowledge, Kilbride prepares to take on his second professional gig half a world away.

“I got a contract to sing at the Royal Opera House in Muscat, Oman, that is practically brand new,” Kilbride.

Kilbride will rehearse in Washington D.C. in September and leave for the Middle East in October to stay in Muscat, all expenses paid, with salary for his performances. 

“Oman is a safe country, and I’ll be in a large group,” Kilbride said.  “I can’t wait to experience the art scene and see how music interacts with their culture.”

For Kilbride, he hopes that this will be the beginning of a long singing career.

“I’d love to perform at the Met in New York, but I think my most important goal is to be able to sustain myself and a family through music,” Kilbride said. “I’ve learned life is too short to not be who you truly are.”