Running for a reason: teachers join marathon

It is not every day that a high school teacher wakes up and decides to run one of the largest marathon road races in the world. It is even rarer when three of those teachers are at LZHS and will be raising thousands of dollars each in the charity of their choice.

On October 7, Tom Reagan, Lisa Ledbetter, and Lesly Ravenscraft will participate in the Chicago marathon. They have put in months of preparation, and for some, it is their first major race.  All are eager to step over the finish line, and while the physical accomplishment of running 26 Chicago miles should be rewarding, these teachers are excited to make steps towards research and cures for the diseases that have affected their loved ones.

Lisa Ledbetter

“When you register for the marathon, you have an option to run normally or to run for a charity,” Ledbetter, French teacher, said. “I chose to [raise money] for Susan G. Komen in honor of my mom.”

Her mom’s battle with breast cancer started when she was in 6th grade. Since then, her mom’s cancer has come back three different times, and she is in the process now of finding the right medicine.

“It’s been a lot of up and downs,” Ledbetter said, “but she is the strongest, most positive person that I have ever known.”

According to Ledbetter, this is her chance to be an advocate for a charity she has always admired and an opportunity to accomplish the goal of running a marathon.

“The first couple of months I was a little freaked out, but I’ve shown myself that I’m getting stronger,” Ledbetter said.

Since the task of running a whole 26 miles is overwhelming, Ledbetter says she needs a lot of support, and her parents are happy to supply it.

“My dad will text me after my runs and ask how they were,” Ledbetter said. “[This is] a payback to my parents. They’ve always been there for me.”

Tom Reagan

Tom Reagan, P.E teacher, has been training for the Chicago marathon for 20 weeks and he will be running for the Alzheimer’s association.

“A typical day looks like waking up, drinking a big glass of water, maybe eating a protein bar and getting a playlist ready,” Reagan said.

Reagan originally starting training in order to lose weight, but when he heard about the possibly of raising money along with running the Chicago marathon, he was all for the challenge.

“I had a grandmother who passed away from Alzheimer’s, and a longtime childhood friend of mine’s father was just diagnosed,” Reagan said. “It’s not a fun disease because the person you love isn’t that person anymore. It’s them physically, but not mentally.”

The training has been difficult, but Reagan says the support he has received will push him through his first major marathon.

“Two, three years ago, I never thought I’d say I’m running a marathon,” Reagan said. “[But] on those long runs, I recall stories and comments from coworkers of someone they know who went through [Alzheimer’s], and it keeps me going.”

As the big day comes closer, Reagan is more excited and nervous than ever.

“I know [when I cross the finish line], I’ll be emotional to some level,” Reagan said. “[The marathon] is so cool as a spectator, I can only imagine how cool it will be when I’m the one they’re cheering on.”

Lesly Ravenscraft

Lesly Ravenscraft, English teacher, has already run seven marathons, and is expecting this one to be her best.

“I’ve had my best training so far,” Ravenscraft said. “I know what I’m running for.”

Ravenscraft’s 15 year old son has Duchenne muscular dystrophy and she will be representing the cause come October 7.

“I’m amazed by my son’s strength every day,” Ravenscraft said. “I can get up at 4, I can run the marathon, but I’m still not dealing with what he has to deal with.”

Duchenne muscular dystrophy is a progressive disorder where certain muscles stop working. Ravencraft’s son is in a wheelchair full time, and Ravenscraft has said watching her son deal with his disease has made her a better person.

“You don’t realize how much you use your arms, how much we all take for granted,” Ravenscraft said. “I’ve become more appreciative.”

Ravenscraft has already raised $3,000, and can not wait to race and then celebrate.

“He was happy, surprised and grateful when he heard what I was running for,” Ravenscraft said. “My goal is that he’ll be there waiting for me at the finish line.”