Stop sniffling this spring

Sniffing, sneezing, itching. It is that time of year again. About 40 million people suffer from seasonal allergies in the United States alone, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. For some people, allergies are already here and the symptoms are worse than ever.

Many

allergy experts are saying climate change is causing unusually high pollen counts, which cause seasonal allergies. Since the weather is warming much sooner than normal, plants start pollinating before spring actually starts, making a longer allergy season.

Gary C. Steven, an allergist at the Allergy, Asthma and Sinus Center near Milwaukee, said in an interview with OurAmazingPlanet.com the pollen count in May, 2011 was 3,409, where normally it is about 892.

Pollen counts are a measurement of how many pollen grains are in the air in a set amount of time. As the pollen count becomes higher, the itchy throat, swollen sinuses, sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes become even worse. Harmless things around us, like trees, weeds and grasses, make the pollen that causes our spring allergies.

“[My allergies] last three to four months and they usually start in March, around the middle of the month,” Amanda Asbach, junior, said. “I think it’s the trees that cause them… I have itchy eyes and an itchy, scratchy throat, and I sneeze millions of times.”
To some students, this spring may seem like the worst allergy season yet, and they have a point. The pollen counts for the US have been the highest in the past ten years, according to Dr. Alan Omid Khadavi, an allergy and asthma specialist.

“My allergies are not only seasonal, but they change from year to year. If there is a lot of pollen in the air, then I get them a lot worse,” Carlos Ramirez, sophomore, said. “I remember one year they got so bad that I had to go to the doctor to make sure I was okay… They’ve been pretty bad [this year], but not as bad as that one time. I’ve taken some medication and that seems to have done the trick.”