Bear Facts Flashback: Comic Books are more than “just for laughs”

Each week, Bear Facts will post an article from a past issue.  These articles can demonstrate what life was like for a high school student in that year.  What seemed important to them that seems commonplace now? This article ran in February 1992.

By Ryan Whisner

Many people believe “comic books” are just that, enhanced versions of the Sunday comics. The name “comic” book is a misnomer in that they are nothing of the sort.

Some are like the Sunday comics, but the well known comic books like Batman, Superman, Spiderman, X-Force and X-men are not.

Several people look at comic book characters as fictional people that deal with fictional problems. This is not true. Naturally, the characters are fictional, but some of the ideas they represent and problems they face are quite real.

For instance, a few years back Peter Parker (Spiderman) got married. Most people would say the comic would not deal with the marriage. However, there have been several issues in which Parker has argued with his wife.

Another example is The Uncanny X-men. The X-men must deal with the general hatred of mutants that is felt throughout the world. As far as I know there are no true mutants with the abilities of the X-men. However, the X-men and mutants in general in the comic are often referred to as freaks.

There are many people that others refer to as freaks: cripples, people with deformities and people with speech impediments. Although most do not hate these people, there is a general dislike because they are different. The X-men are symbolic of the “freaks” and the problems they face.

Comic books are not just characters and stories, though. Contrary to what some say, comic books are an investment. Depending on age, condition and what the story is, a comic book can be worth as much as $4300 (Amazing Spiderman1).

Comic books are not just for laughs. They have stories that deal with strong issues and eventually may be worth as much as the clunker your parents bought you.