Man’s best friend or man’s worst enemy? LZ students and their pets

When life gets ‘ruff’, LZHS teens know they can turn to their pets. Whether it be for support or an escape from boredom, research supports the mood-enhancing benefits of pets.

“Unless you’re someone who really dislikes animals or is absolutely too busy to care for one properly, pets can provide excellent social support, stress relief, and other health benefits,” Elizabeth Scott, M.S, said in an article for about.com.

Mike Lowe, sophomore, has had his “cute and fat” cat Mimi since he was five, and always feels happier when Mimi is around.

“He greets me when I come home and sleeps with me every night,” Lowe said. “He is one of my closest friends.”

Lowe says Mimi is always able to cheer him up because he has funny,  nervous habits.       “I can be sad and then I’ll look over and see Mimi rolling around,” Lowe said. “So I just go, ‘Aw, look at my little Mimi.”

According to Scott, pets can not only improve moods, but also lower blood pressure and promote exercise.

Katie Creagh, junior, understands the benefits pets can have on human physical health.

“I always have to walk my dog, Cooper, so I guess that’s an extra way for humans to get exercise,” Creagh said. “But the best is how pets are always there when you have a bad day.”

Creagh says when you have a problem, sometimes if you talk to a human they will just say the wrong thing, but pets will always just make you feel happier.

According to Scott, however, sometimes pets can create stress if they require a great deal of responsibility. This is the case for Sam Zoibi, freshman, who owns a fully grown iguana named Mr. Bananas.

“His mood depends on the day,” Zoibi said. “When he’s hungry, he bites me, but some days he’ll let me hold him for a little while…and then he’ll bite me.”

Zoibi said Mr. Bananas creates stress by roaming around his room and chewing various objects, and while Zoibi has put up with his pet’s misbehaviors because he was “cool looking,” Zoibi is now in the process of giving up his iguana.

Jerry Bahena, adoption counselor at Orphans of the Storm animal shelter, says all pets have their challenges, but owners struggling with their pet’s misbehaviors should try and exhaust all options before sending their pet back to a shelter/pet store. Bahena suggests obedience classes or spending more time with pets, as the work will reap benefits for both owners and their animals.

“You have to be patient and loving,” Bahena said. “Caring for an animal can be hard, but if you’re willing to work through the hard stuff, they can bring a lot of happiness to a person’s life.”

For most students, though, pets do provide happiness, unconditional love, and support.

“Mimi always has my back, through good times and bad,” Lowe said, “I don’t know what I’d do without my pet.”