Bear Facts Flashback: Someone you should know – Mel Eide

Bear+Facts+Flashback%3A+Someone+you+should+know+-+Mel+Eide+

Each week, Bear Facts will post an article from a past issue.  These articles can demonstrate what life was like for a high school student in that year.  What seemed important to them that seems commonplace now?

By Chris Oakley

One question that pops up in the minds of many students at L.Z.H.S. is “Who is Mel Eide?” They see the name on the football field, but there is no explanation as to who this man is. Hopefully the following is the answer to that question.

In 1932, Mel Eide came to Lake Zurich. Upon his arrival, he taught social studies and directed the band and chorus at what was then the Ela Township High School. For 25 years he coached the freshman and sophomore basketball teams, which won several championships. He finished with Northwest Suburban champs. In 1946, Mr. Eide became the assistant principle and, at the same time, coached the varsity baseball team won three Northwest Suburban Championships.

Why is the football field named after him? Mel Eide was responsible for planning and laying out the field when the high school was still named Ela-Vernon.

In the late ‘50’s, Mr. Eide became a full-time administrator. When unit districts were formed, he became the principle of Lake Zurich High School. He remained principle until his retirement in 1968.

Mel Eide was not only involved in school activities, but in community activities as well. He was president of the Lions Club, worked on establishing Lion’s (Fred Blau) Park, served as a scoutmaster, troop committeeman, and served on the village planning commission. He was active in Little League during the first years of its existence, and he sang in the St. Peter United Church of Christ’s choir for a number of years. After his retirement, Mr. Eide served on the Ela Township Board as a director, and two terms as the Township Clerk. He resigned from the township in the early ‘70’s.

Mel Eide still lives in Lake Zurich on East Main St. He and his wife spend much of their time traveling.