Fresh farmers market in downtown LZ

A new addition to the LZ summer scene could be a fresh new concept for the downtown area. For the first time since 2006, Lake Zurich will be home to a Farmers Market in Lion’s Park. This open air market focuses on locally farmed produce, all natural products, local services, and other unique items.

“When it was originally announced that Lake Zurich’s Farmer’s Market was going to happen this summer, the community response was overwhelmingly good from both the public and the city,” said Robert Boyce, market manager, adding he had plenty of people thank him for helping to bring the Farmers Market back.

Some products one can find at the market include fresh vegetables, herbs and plants, fresh cut flowers, children’s books, JuicePlus vitamins and Tupperware. And if you are looking for a Mary Kay consultant, the LZ Farmers Market even has a booth for that. In fact, English teacher, Julie Osterhaus, ran the booth at the market.

Market Manager Rob Boyce, also owner of Natural Environments Greenhouses and Nursery and Lake Zurich Florist, has been involved with farmers markets for years and has decided to bring the freshness back to LZ.

Organizers hope the downtown location of the Farmers Market will encourage residents and visitors to explore the downtown area.
Margaret Myren, Barrington resident, frequents different farmers markets. When she found the one in Lake Zurich, she was pleased with what she bought, but skeptical about the location.

“I found some good items at the market, like a book for my 5-year-old son and some fresh flowers, but you really have to want to find the market,” said Myren. “The location is sort of hidden, there weren’t many signs directing to where the market was.”

Boyce would eventually like to have 20-25 vendors selling a wide variety of items. Currently, the market has an average of five to eight regular vendors, sometimes more. Two of the usual booth vendors include an all natural organic products vendor and a high school senior from Stevenson.

Jim Mauck, owner of Peace Organics, sells hand-made wooden boxes, beans, squash, and some fresh cut herbs at the market. Mauck also sells some unusual items as well. He has developed an organic insect repellent made from the oils of cedar trees and also sells a special kind of popcorn.

“Tiny But Mighty popcorn is an all natural heirloom variety that was saved from extinction and now grown by family farmers in Iowa,” Mauck said. “The tiny, Indian corn sized kernels have a mighty big taste and offer great nutrition, too.”
Another vendor at the market, Kirsten Halverson, is not your typical seller. Halverson, senior at Stevenson, grows her own green onion, sweet corn and green bell peppers that she sells at the Lake Zurich market.

“I ride my bike to a community garden 10 minutes from my house. That’s where I grow my vegetables to sell at the market,” Halverson said.

Boyce believes the market’s location in Lions Park was the best spot. He really wants to emphasize to the public about coming to the downtown area. He says the customers that stop by are “genuinely interested” in what the market has to offer.

“Even though there are only a few vendors, more will come. Since it is only the first year, we realized it wouldn’t take off right away,” Boyce said. “With time, the market will gain momentum and we hope it will become a regular thing in the community on Friday evenings.”

The market runs until September 2 and, according to Boyce, there will be more produce in the coming weeks as the late summer fruits and vegetables are ready to be harvested. Plan to head to Lion’s Park Friday after school to experience what the LZ Farmers Market has to offer.