Michael Jackson rises from the dead

Looks like Michael Jackson has risen from the dead. Or, at least his vocals have.

The King of Pop has once again released nothing short of spectacular with his new album, Xscape. The beloved singer, who passed away in 2009, had many unfinished or unreleased songs stored away, and producers like Timbaland and Rodney Jerkins finished the job for him. Taking Jackson’s vocals, producers created new music to display Jackson’s lyrics in a new light.

The album contains eight tracks, and the deluxe edition features both the original and produced tracks of each song. The original songs were recorded from 1983-1999 and five of the eight tracks were released each day the week before the album was released. The album premiered at number one on the BillBoard charts.

The first song on the album is titled “Love Never Felt So Good,” written by Paul Anka and produced by Timbaland. The song is the same. The track is featured on the album three times: the original, the version produced specifically for this album, and a version featuring Justin Timberlake.

The night of the iHeartRadio Music Awards where the produced version premiered, a version of the song Timberlake debuted on iTunes.  The Timberlake version is a bit faster than the album version. Although the original track has the same lyrics, it sounds like a completely different song because of the different background music.

The second track, “Chicago,” was also produced by Timbaland. The original song is slower than the produced track, but both songs sound very similar. There are very prominent guitar riffs in the original that are not as clear in the produced version, and the background music in the original sounds a lot like an alien movie.

The next track, “Loving You,” was once again produced by Timbaland, with the help of J-Roc. This song sounds like an authentic Jackson track, where the instruments are clearly heard and the falsettos create goosebumps. The beat of the drum keeps the song going, making listeners move their heads along with the rhythm.

“That crack of emotion, heard in headphones, races to the pleasure center, while the track’s producers build a sonic Robocop to support it,” Randall Roberts, columnist for the Los Angeles Times, wrote in his review of the album.

“A Place With No Name,” the fourth song on the album, is a remake of the 1972 America song, “A Horse With No Name.” The album version, produced by Dr. Freeze and Stargate, is significantly faster than the original, which is built on multiple guitars and cymbals in the background. The produced version has a very authentic feel, reminding the world of Jackson’s amazing vocals.

“Slave To The Rhythm” made headlines when a version featuring Justin Bieber leaked last summer. That version, which is not on either album, sounds completely different than Jackson’s version. The produced version, which was extremely slowed down, is not the upbeat dance track that Bieber created for his version; it is very dramatic, with Jackson screaming most of the lyrics.

At the BillBoard Awards, on May 18, Michael Jackson’s hologram performed “Slave To The Rhythm.” The hologram looked like the real Jackson, bringing audience members to tears.  The performance was an authentic Jackson performance, including both his infamous moon walk and stage pose. The dancers made the performance come to life, adding to the realism of Jackson’s hologram.

Jackson wrote the song “Do You Know Where Your Children Are” about the runaway problem in America between the 1960s and the 1980s. The Timbaland-produced track sounds a lot like Jackson’s 1991 song “Will You Be There.” The song is upbeat, but the lyrics are very meaningful, with Jackson singing, “They are somewhere out on the street/ Just imagine how scared they are.”

The last Timbaland-produced song on the album is “Blue Gangsta,” which Timbaland completely transformed from the original track. The song went from Jackson’s raw vocals with a few instruments to a whole band playing in the background, almost hiding Jackson’s vocals. This track makes it seem like Jackson was autotuned, instead of just highlighting his talent.

The title track of the album, “Xscape,” was produced by Rodney Jerkins. Jackson originally started working on the song with him in 1999. They never completed the song while Jackson was alive, so Jerkins made sure to finish the song up to Jackson’s standards. Jerkins guaranteed the song sounded exactly like something Jackson would release himself, making the song sound pure.

“From the first lines of the first song, the Paul Anka-penned, ‘Love Never Felt So Good,’ ‘Xscape’ confirms that hearing Jackson sing ‘new’ material can still be a mystical experience, and throughout the freshly produced recordings, the sound of a still-vital spirit rushes into the present with revived energy,” Roberts wrote.

Overall, the album brings out the best in Jackson, making listeners forget that he has passed. The producers who worked on the album did everything they could to make an amazing album, and they succeeded. The album truly is a great tribute to Michael Jackson and what he achieved in his musical carreer.