Students pursue music careers

Two LZHS students hope to go from writing songs after school to a successful music career. Although this idea to some may seem far-fetched, it is what they are willing to work for and have already started and continue to work and get their names out to the public.

Collin Covert, junior, is currently writing lyrics and listening to different artists to get new ideas in the pursuit to one day having a successful career as a musician. Covert’s music consists mainly of rap but explores different beats and genres to find the perfect sound.  To make his own beat, he uses computer software and then can add his voice when finished. He hopes that his time creating his own music goes from an after school hobby to a career. Covert finds it hard to work on anything related to music during the school year due to his busy schedule but plans to work hard this summer.

“In the summer [I want to] kick it in to full swing and get a lot of stuff recorded,” Covert said.

Covert is optimistic and believes he can work hard to make his dream happen. Since he was a kid, he has always enjoyed music and looked up to his dad for inspiration. Covert’s father has been in a band since he was a teenager, and in the late 80’s, he did a tour across the country. He uses his father’s success as fuel for his own music.

Covert’s song writing process is completely experimental. He listens to other songs to get ideas and uses real life situations to create lyrics. Sometimes he will have a good idea and the lyrics just flow. Whether he is rapping or becomes a music producer, Covert plans to make something of himself musically.

Matt Wang, junior, is also making music and loves the artistic freedom he feels when he sings. Wang plays guitar in the band Feed the Mouse. He typically sticks to alterative sounds and covers other artists’ songs.

“I love music because it’s a way to express everything that I’m feeling in a way that can be understood universally to anybody who wants to appreciate it,” Wang said.

For inspiration he looks to John Mayer because he believes he is how every artist should be.

“He strives to be consistent in what he feels is right as a musician and a person,”  Wang said.

To get his music out to the public, he posts videos on his YouTube channel MattWangmusic. The channel has 19 videos and 535 subscriptions. His videos include covers of songs, mixes of songs and an original song of his called ‘The Perfect Guy’. Having a successful music career would be a dream come true, but for Wang, money and fame is not appealing if he is not singing something he loves nor believes in.

Covert and Wang have a lot planned for their futures and a lot to work for, but strive for a career in something they both are passionate about: music.