“Mr. LZ: The 2014 Edition” comes to a close; Lehtinen takes the crown

The new Mr. LZ has been crowned, and Chris Lehtinen, senior, is the winner.

The varsity Poms ran the event Wednesday, March 19, a night for voting, along with many laughs and “awww’s.” Lehtinen bested 11 other candidates at the competition, which highlighted annual events such as the “mom speech” and talent competition.

As attendees walked into the PAC to find their assigned seats, a slideshow was playing on the projector showcasing all the candidates to be performing that night.  The lights lowered, and the night began.

The curtains opened with only the backlight of the stage, making all 12 contestants just silhouettes on the stage.  To kick off the night, the men all danced together to “New York, New York” (Frank Sinatra) to get the crowd going for a night of pure laughter and entertainment.  After the lovely dancing, each man was asked to receive a 100 word description of them written by a friend to be read as they were strolling the stage in the formal wear portion of the competition.  This eventually turned into the talent competition.

Each candidate was in charge of preparing a talent act as well as a skit between a randomly assigned groups of three.  These two factors along with an improv-dancing portion separated the top five from the rest.  The final contestants were Chris Lehtinen, Matt O’Connor, Joey Nolan, Richard Waller, and Jon Gaide.

From then on, the top five had to read aloud their “Dear Mom” letters, deliver two pickup lines to a girl, and finish up with a Q & A.  Once each of the five completed each task, the Poms played yet another slideshow that included pictures of each contestant from their childhood up until high school.  This gave the judges enough time to tally up the final scores, and the winner was finally announced.  Starting form fourth runner up all the way to the official Mr. LZ 2014.  Winner Chris Lehtinen congratulated all the other contestants and took home the crown and bag of gift cards while receiving a stand ovation from the crowd.

Following is a summary of each candidate’s performance:

Chris Lehtinen – Mr. LZ

Lehtinen started off his night with his skit, along with Sam Walstrum and Matt O’Connor, where they created a TV show that surrounded an LZ throwback of the last four years at LZHS.  Jokes varied from the first pep assembly their freshman year to the empty camera case left outside the school to the senior pranks of last year, each keeping the audience laughing.

He then moved onto his talent act, or his reenactment of the Cheetah Girls.  Strutting his stuff across the stage to “Strut” (Cheetah Girls) while showing off his cheetah print footie pajamas were more than entertainment for the crowd, as he even got on his hands and knees and crawled around like a cheetah.  He ended the prelims of the show with a creative improv-dance tagging along with Adam Minossora.  Their solos became a duet as Minossora leaped into Lehtinen’s arms and made him swing him around like a monkey.

After passing through the first rounds, he was second in line to give his “Dear Mom” speech.  He went through his letter thanking his mom for the amount of time she held him as a baby, even caring for him through his today years, simply with the sign of the cross across his forehead which his mother has done since his childhood.  He called her the “most beautiful person on the outside, but also most importantly, on the inside.”

He told his pickup lines, and concluded his night with the question of what he would do with $1 million if given to him.  Although many people would have answered with a big product, he simply said a t-shirt, and put away the microphone.

Matt O’Connor – First Runner Up

O’Connor also started off his night with his skit, being with Lehtinen and Walstrum; however, he was also in charge of music.  It began with random breakouts of dancing that helped their case when pointing and certain events that have happened to their class over the past four years.  From parties to the pump-up song from this year’s football season.

He then took the stage with his guitar and drumsticks in hand.  He played a mix of multiple songs starting on his guitar and singing, and ending on his drums.  He was able to get the crowd going as well as highlight his musical talent  on not one, but two different instruments.  As the rest, he ended his prelims with the improv-dance and got his way into the finals.

He was called fourth to give his “Dear Mom” speech, and he told “his best friend” just how much she has helped him over his past 18 years.  He touched upon the event of having him and his twin along with three other siblings, and ended his speech saying he was “the luckiest person ever because I’m alive, breathing, and talking out to the most wonderful person in the world.”

He them performed his pickup lines and proceeded to the Q&A.  He was hit with the question about having to change one thing in his past, what would it be?  After strolling the stage for a bit, he came across the answer to be the outcome of his baseball game against his brother back in 7th grade.  He said that although he did hit a home run off the pitch, he wished it was a grand slam.

Joey Nolan – 2nd Runner Up

Unlike the other two, Nolan began his night dressed as a legendary musician: Elvis Presley.  In his white uni-suit and multi-colored scarves, he sang a mix of popular Elvis songs and threw out his scarves to his fans in the audience.  Although his wig did not cooperate to well, he played it off well and did not let it affect his performance overall.

He then performed his skit, with Evan Murray and Max Galarce.  They had a lip-syncing competition which left each one of the three in charge of singing two specific songs.  Nolan performed “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” (Whitney Houston) as well as “Domino” (Jessie J).  He ended the prelims with a impov-dance no one could forget.

Beginning with the traditional inchworm across the stage, Nolan surprised the audience when the final song came on.  After dancing a duet with Michael Savio and reenacting the scene from Titanic, he laid on the ground and flopped around like a fish for the final dance, giving the judges something to remember.

Making it into the final round, Nolan was third to read his “Dear Mom” letter, and it was not only sincere, but also comical in many ways.  He thanked his mom for the constant support and love, and he apologized for acting like a daughter to her.  He explained it as “when I needed clothes, you took me shopping.  If I have something bothering me, I know I can come to you and talk through it, which not sure if most guys do with their moms.”

After his two pickup lines, he ended the night with the his picked question about the superpower he wanted.  His answered saying that a radioactive spider already bit him, as he stated in his previous Mr. LZ interview, so he pretty much was a superhero already.

Richard Waller – 3rd Runner Up

Waller also began his night with his skit, performing with Adam Minossora and Jon Gaide.  He played a little camper who could not get a song out of his head.  As he constantly burst out into song with Minossora, Gaide had to repeatedly come in and scold them back to sleep.  Waller dressed his character in a pajama outfit that consisted on top of shorts of long pajama pants.

He then did his talent act, which involved him dancing around the stage, performing dance moves many others find impossible to do.  This included the “Grind on Me” move as well as his infamous backbend without using his hands.  The audience enjoyed the act and was thoroughly entertained.  His talent act helped him in the impov-dancing round, and he was chosen into the top five.

Being called last for the “Dear Mom” speeches, Waller delivered while bringing in a little Spanish spice.  He started off his speech saying, “Hi mommy.  It’s me, Richard from home,” creating a lot of laughter in the audience.  His heartfelt speech thanked his mom for multiple reasons, but he ended with “I love you mom, because you’re my mom.”

He proceeded to announce his pickup lines, then was hit with the question of a certain animal he would like to be.  His immediate answer was a rhino, not only because they are hard to beat, but his hair spike creates the look.

Jon Gaide – 4th Runner Up

Gaide started off the night as being the first talent act of the whole show.  He sang an original song he wrote about the competition as well as his fellow contestants.  Not only did he manage to diss every single one of his competitors, he created a chorus for the whole show: “Oh, it’s Mr. LZ. Oh, who’s it going to be? Who’s it going to be?” to the tune of “Hey There, Delilah” (Plain White T’s)

He then performed with Minossora and Waller in the camping skit.  Rather than being the disobedient campers, he dressed in high socks and short shorts and acted as the camp counselor, “Mr. Gaide.”  His role was to keep the other two in check by threatening to take away their “snack shack privileges” to the sloppy joe’s for the next day.

Passing through the improv-dancing round and into the finals, Gaide was once again first for the “Dear Mom” letter.  His short but sweet letter captured the hearts of the audience as he read, “You will forever be in my heart.  I may not say it enough, but I love you mom, and I appreciate all that you do for me.”

He went through his pickup lines and was left with the question asking about having to go to dinner with a single person, dead or alive, who would it be?  He answered saying Michael Savio, another contestant, because he’s always good for a random dance outbreak in the middle of a dinner.

Sam Walstrum

Walstrum, along with Lehtinen and O’Connor, started off with their skit of the channel 14 newscast.  Dancing around in a light blue vest and tie, Walstrum also played a vital part in the throwback skit of the past four years at LZHS, keeping the jokes coming and the audience entertained.

He then was put on the spotlight with his talent act of playing three instruments as well as singing.  He began with the piano playing “Lose Yourself” (Eminem) and eventually playing the guitar as well as a bass.  The audience clapped to the beat as Walstrum performed all three songs.

Finally, his improv-dancing included multiple leaps as he was a part of the group that had to dance to “Let it Go” (Demi Lovato).  Although Walstrum did not make it into the final five, he entertained the audience during the time he did take the stage.

Adam Minossora

Minossora began his night off with his talent, which ended up being an act as well as a song with Bob Knuth, history teacher.  As a reenactment to a Jimmy Fallon episode with Will Farrell, it started off as Minossora handed off a detention to the student, but lead to him breaking out in song about who has the tighter pants on.  Knuth joined in as danced along side Minossora as while wearing their tight pants and strutting their stuff on the stage.

He then performed in the camping skit with Waller and Gaide as another camper who does not listen and continues to sing a song out loud after lights out.  His pajama outfit of high socks and gym shorts fully represented the nerdy character Minossora was trying to portray.

Finally, his duet with Lehtinen during the improv-dancing kept the audience on their toes as Lehtinen swung him around while still on stage.  This eventually turned into a formal dance when the music stopped and the dancing portion was over.  Although his time on stage was short, Minossora never ceased to make the audience laugh.

Mark Lacsam

Lacsam started off his night with his talent, being his personal cover of “Say Something” (A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera) on his piano, along with his singing and vocal percussion.  The beginning with the piano only built up to the portion in the middle with piano playing but with the vocal “beat boxing” over it, creating the effects of the real song.

After his musical performance, Danny Scigalski and Michael Savio accompanied him in their skit of “LZ’s Got Talent.”  He played two different auditions, the first being a musician which was denied.  His second audition included his rewrite of the book “Everybody Poops” but with LZ connections, also to add the effect, he read his book in the voice of Morgan Freeman.

His final performance was the improv-dancing.  Lacsam was not picked as top five, but his time on stage was something memorable for the audience.

Danny Scigalski

Scigalski began with the skit with Lacsam and Savio, except he was the talk show host, as well as the final audition to show what the “real talent” looked like.  He introduced the 3 acts, and then ripped off his tux just for the same exact tux to appear underneath in preparation for his dancing performance.

He then paired with Max Galarce in the talent portion because they are both talented when it comes to magic tricks.  After Galarce performed his first couple tricks, Scigalski called up Randi Pace, senior, as a volunteer to help in his card trick, which he had both him and Pace sign a card and hold it in a fist.  He claims that by the power of cartoon science and moving particles, he was able to change the cards between the two sets of hands.  Pace’s card was in Scigalski’s hand, and vice versa.

He ended his skit by making Pace “disappear” under a black piece of felt, and he was onto the improv-dance.  Scigalski continued his dancing from his skit, but it was not enough to push him through the finals, but he kept the audience entertained through his time up on stage.

Max Galarce

Galarce also started his night with his skit with Nolan and Murray, lip-syncing to multiple songs in a fake competition.  Galarce started off singing “California Girls” (Katy Perry) while he danced around the stage in a bright blue wig.  He then moved onto the “Thriller” (Michael Jackson) and not only had his white glove on, but he moonwalked from right to left to right on the stage.

He then performed his half of the talent act, being his card trick between the “this,” “this,” and “that” card, which all ended up being switched to the “this,” “that,” and the “other” card.  Although the trick was on camera to be projected for the audience too see, the magic fooled the eyes of the spectators along with the story that connects the whole trick together.  He also was able to solve a difficult rubrics cube and flip cards around his fingers as if they were floating.

In the end, his improv-dance also included leaping across the page and strutting his stuff around all the other contestants and stage.  Galarce’s performance did not get him into the finals, but this tricks and dancing were something the audience cannot forget.

Evan Murray

Murray began his night with his talent act, recreating the famous “Evolution of Dance” that has been all over YouTube for years.  In his orange Crush shirt and jeans, he was able to perform songs ranging from the 1990’s up until the present day, and each dance kept the audience laughing as to what would come next.

He then performed his skit with Nolan and Galarce with the lip-syncing.  Being the first to go, Murray started off with “Single Ladies” (Beyoncé).  His dances moves and spot-on lip-syncing pulled the reenactment together.  He later performed “Just The Way You Are” (Bruno Mars).

After both acts, the improv-dance came, and Murray danced across the stage along with three other contestants all fighting for the top five spot in the competition.  Even though Murray was not put in the final five, the performance on stage kept the audience laughing.

Michael Savio

Savio started off with his “LZ’s Got Talent” skit with Scigalski and Lacsam, starting off being the angry person in the crowd.  He began siting with the crowd and stormed out of the PAC, but he returned coming through the curtains as the final act, Justin Briber.  He performed “If I was your boyfriend” (Justin Bieber) in his outfit including a white tank top and shiny silver vest with a popped collar.

He then did his talent act, which started off as sarcastic freshmen advice like walking slowly in the hallways, but Amanda Rodriguez, PE teacher, joined the show and turned his act into a dance.  Savio ripped off his jacket and pants and danced around with Rodriguez wearing a tank top and shorts.  Their mix of songs also lead to his dancing, ranging from square dancing to twerking.

In the end, Savio ended up pairing up with Nolan during the improv-dance not only for the formal dancing, but to be Nolan’s partner in the Titanic scene.  Though Savio did not make it into the finals, his dancing skills were made memorable.