From amateur status to Sirius XMU’s most played: Chvrches and “The Mother We Share”

In just a few years, Scottish band Chvrches was able to climb the rankings and make it on BBC’s most promising talents of 2013.  They recently distributed the latest CD on iTunes in September called The Bones of What You Believe.

The music is entertaining and great to listen to from the beginning of the CD.  It holds a different sound than other music today, with an almost techno background along with challenging vocals and a catchy beat.

This band has three members: Lauren Mayberry, Iain Cook, and Martin Doherty.  Mayberry is the main vocalist in the group and began the band when she completed her education with a law degree and a Masters in journalism, according to The Guardian’s website.  Cook was a member of another band named Aerogramme, as well as a film and television music composer when he was pulled into the new band with Mayberry.  Doherty was also already in the music industry, already touring member of the Twilight Sad, when Mayberry and Cook recruited him to join their group and become a trio.

Their first single to make the charts, “The Mother We Share,” was the most played song in 2012 on Sirius’s XMU.  It has a near-80’s feel, but pulls it into the modern day music industry through the lyrics teens are able to relate to.

Overall, this CD is very entertaining and a great listen.  People of all ages should listen to and enjoy yet another upcoming band.

chvrches the mother we share