Success never strikes the same film twice, or does it?

Great things come in pairs, as the saying goes. However, when it comes to movies, sometimes the second half does not always meet the expectations created by the first half.

When writers decide to produce a sequel to their first movie, it draws in lots of fans.  Sometimes those movies equal or surpass the popularity of the first one. On the other hand, there are just as many sequels that fail to satisfy the expectations of viewers based on the previous film.

Multiple movie companies are currently trying to meet those expectations by producing a film better than the first, many which are to come out within the next few years.

Catching Fire:

Since March of last year, the well-known book-turned-movie trilogy of The Hunger Games has gained more fans, especially since the announcement of the production of the second movie is in the works.

“It’s hard to make a good book into a good movie,” Gabriela Wagoner, junior and trilogy fan, said. “I think they did a really good job with that, especially because they didn’t get rid of any important parts.”

Simon Beaufoy and Michael Arndt, coproducers of the film, really tried to keep as much of the book in the movie, and it ended up being successful.  Writer Suzanne Collins has once again partnered with Beaufoy and Arndt to create the second book of the trilogy, Catching Fire, according to IMDB’s website. Fans are hoping for another great movie to follow up the action and romance presented in the first movie.

“I feel like they’re going to have to do a little bit more because for the first one.  People were just excited that they were going to make a Hunger Games movie,” Wagoner said. “People already have expectations for the second one. They’ll have to live up to those expectations.”

Wagoner believes the sequel will be just as good as the first one, especially because they have good actors, writers, producers, and other cast and crew that take part in the creation. She holds high hopes for it.

Finding Nemo:

Numerous childhoods include the viewing of the colorful, kid-friendly film, Finding Nemo, and even though it was released years ago, kids today still enjoy the fun-filled adventure supplied in the movie.

“I really loved all the fish characters because they’re my favorite animal,” Kendall Sharp, senior, said. “And the colors are what was really appealing to me.”

Writers Andrew Stanton and Victoria Strouse are planning to release the sequel known as Finding Dory next year around June. Fans are excited for the new movie coming out, especially after the great response to the first movie.

“I think it will be just as good because it sounds like it’s different,” Sharp said. “Because it’s called Finding Dory, it has the same ideas as Finding Nemo, but a different angle.”

Although other sequels are assumed to be worse than the first, Finding Dory seems to have an optimistic hope coming from the fans of the first movie. Sharp is one who is waiting excitedly for the next movie to come next year.

Pitch Perfect:

Another one of those hilarious comedies is attempting to make the top charts again.  Yes, Pitch Perfect is planning to come back as a sequel and take on the movie industry all over again.

“[The first movie] is absolutely hilarious, especially Fat Amy” Laura Cotter, senior and Pitch Perfect fan, said. “I really liked the way how everyone acted towards each other. It was just overall entertaining.”

As many people know, Kay Cannon, writer of Pitch Perfect, is planning on creating a sequel to the comedy, which is to come out in a few years. As of now, Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson, actors of Pitch Perfect, will be a part of the next movie, according to IMDB’s website.

“I think it’s sadly going to be worse, probably still good, but not as good as the first,” Cotter said. “It’s hard to recreate something like that, but I hope it focuses on Fat Amy, because when you think of Pitch Perfect, you just think of her.”

Although she thinks it may not be quite as entertaining as the first, Cotter is still excited for the sequel to come out, especially after she rated the movie a 12 out of 10 for the first movie.  She hopes for the chance to say the same about the next.