A story about love: Almost Maine

The drama department is sure the audience is going to fall in love with this years’ fall play, Almost Maine, debuting at the beginning of November in the Performing Arts Center (PAC).

“The biggest theme in the play is love,” Jason Miller, junior and actor, said. “Every theme is about each character falling in and out of love, and a lot of other themes show trust. It teaches many students and adults to develop a healthy relationship.”

This play shows the highs and lows of love and relationships, but not just between just a man and woman; there is a relationship between two men, as well.

“Besides the show The Wedding Singer, this is the first play in a while that we have portrayed a gay relationship,” Julian Mauleon, senior and actor, said. “It adds a unique perspective to the show.”

The goal of the play is to project a larger message about the topic of love to its audience.

“The whole play explores love through a variety of different relationships,” David Harmon, drama teacher and director, said. “Different relationships express love in different ways depending on where they are in their relationship.”

One scene, in particular, teaches the most valuable lesson to both students and adults, according to Miller.

“There is one scene where a couple is together and the girl feels she’s neglected by her husband because he forgets their anniversary and his kids’ birthdays,” Miller said. “It teaches you that there’s someone in your life you could be neglecting, and you shouldn’t take anyone for granted because you never know how much time you have left to spend with that person.”

Aside from all of the care and seriousness in relationships, the play also includes a comedic twist.

“There is a lot of humor in the show,” Harmon said. “It is kind of categorized as a romantic comedy, but it is very relatable to high school kids.”

I2_Entertainment_SP_FallPlay_Amy