Macklemore drops new album, brings new vibe to the mainstream

How Macklemore saved the Mainstream

It’s funny the way mainstream music catches on these days. Whether it be through the radio, peers, or the media, the same genre of songs seem to slip into the limelight and stand out in the music industry.

Songs like Carly Ray Jensen’s “Call Me Maybe,” One Direction’s “What Makes You Beautiful” or Taylor Swift’s “We Are Never Getting Back Together” share the same poppy, catchy chorus plastered on the Billboard Top 100 and seared into our heads on top of turning into teen anthems.

Anyone with a pulse could probably dish out the chorus of any of these songs, but their depth only reaches puppy-love and their beat is, well, annoying. That’s why when Macklemore dropped Thrift Shop, and later on the full album The Heist, the mainstream was saved.

Macklemore, the 29 year old rapper from Seattle whose birth name is Ben Haggerty, covers a broad range of topics and themes. Writing everything from his struggle with cough syrup abuse to his Golden City and everything in between, his music ranges from athletic-vibe pump up songs to slow ballads. Frequently bringing popular social issues into his music, such as his strong support for gay marriage in “Same Love,” Macklemore spares no feelings in his songs.

Because of his strong vocabulary and radical expression of his opinions, Macklemore is a less likely candidate to be heard on your public radio station, however, one would be hard-pressed to find a teenager who is not at least familiar with one of his songs.

On top of offering a fresh new vibe and sound, The Heist brags a full line-up of featured artists, most of which would not sound familiar to your average listener.

Some of the albums key tracks include:

“Ten Thousand Hours”- Giving off an up-beat vibe and a chorus that has potential to give listeners the chills, this lead-off single on the album really sets high expectations for the next 72 minutes.

“Can’t Hold Us (featuring Ray Dalton): Due to its triumphant, explosive beat; this song is a sure fire way to get athletes fired up and will most likely wind up in stadium and arenas across the country in the near future.

“Wings: Wings was released back in 2011, but is still featured on the track list. A slower beat than other Macklemore songs, the lyrics run deep and the chorus (mixed by Ryan Lewis) is a spot on.

“Same Love (featuring Mary Lambert): In same love, Macklemore exposes his radical support of gay marriage, in support of his openly gay uncles. Being the slowest song on the album, the music video for this song is almost as touching as the delicate, powerful lyrics. Whether you agree with Macklemore or not, this song is a surefire hit for any listeners.

“Thrift Shop (featuring Wanz): In what is most likely the most popular song from the album, Thrift Shop boasts one of the catchiest beats dropped this year.

Castle: This song, while relatively unknown, is one of the catchier, most up-beat songs on the album. The slap-happy, carefree lyrics make for a great change-up in the serious tone of the album. The song makes people want to dance.