‘One Direction Infection’ obvious on the charts

The United States’ music industry has yet again been invaded by a British Boy Band. From the Beatles, to Pink Floyd, to Coldplay, there is only One Direction for this band: forward.

One Direction, with members Louis Tomlinson, Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Zayn Malik, and Niall Horan, are most well known for their song “What Makes You Beautiful,” which entered the United Kingdom Singles Chart at Number One with 153,965 sales within the first week.

“[One Direction’s] songs make girls feel better about themselves. The band members are nice, down to earth, and funny,” Jessica Szabla, sophomore and One Direction fan, said.

“What Makes You Beautiful” has reached 125,177,726 views since its release in late August on http://YouTube.com, and is the perfect example to showcase millions of teenage girls’ ‘One Direction Infection.’

“[Getting famous] hits you hard at different stages. You’re laying in bed one night and start to think about everything that’s going on, and it moves so quickly, that you just go with it,” Tomlinson said in an interview with The Project.

One Direction’s popular album, Up All Night, which is their first and only album so far, has thirteen songs, includes their three singles “What Makes You Beautiful,” “Gotta Be You,” and “One Thing.” Most of the songs are pop love songs.

“My favorite song is ‘Everything About You.’ It focuses on a girl and their relationship, which makes a girl listening feel special. It’s catchy, and faster than most of their songs. It’s the first one I heard from them, and it automatically caught my attention,” Szabla said.

The band picked up a Brit Award for best single (“What Makes You Beautiful”) in February 2012.

“[One Direction] beat Adele for Best British Single, so they obviously have talent, since she topped the charts for such a long time,” Szabla said.

So far, One Direction has made quite the impression on teenage girls around the globe, just like many other British Bands in the past.

“As much as I love One Direction, they probably won’t be as good as a legendary British band like The Beatles,” Szabla said. “But with the right amount of work, anything can happen.”