LZHS students see the Lion King

LZHS students see the Lion King

On September 16, 2011, the highest grossing hand drawn animation film of all time, The Lion King, circled back to life in 3D.

Despite their age, some LZHS students are buying tickets to experience the beloved kid’s movie again on the big screen, and students will be able to buy the remastered blu-ray on October 2.

Anna Powers, junior, is seeing the movie and is bringing five of her friends.

“I’m looking forward to the opening scene because it has really beautiful animation,” Powers said. “I have such great memories from watching the movie as a kid, so it’ll be fun to relive my childhood.”

A Disney spokeswoman explained the 3D release was a way to keep the aging film fresh and invite a new generation of children to experience the classic in an article for the NYtimes.com.

“I feel bad for kids who didn’t experience 90’s animation movies,” Powers said. “Nowadays, kid’s movies have lost those quality songs that people remember.”

Nicole Morrissey, junior, also believes the music, plot and characters allow the movie to live on.

“My favorite song is “Hakuna Matata”, and my favorite part is when Simba and Nahla run away from Zazu and into the elephant graveyard,” Morrissey said. “I love the struggles and the happy ending.”

Because of the movie’s initial success, movie executives expected $10 to 12 million dollars in profit within the first three days of release. According to Fandango.com, the movie over preformed and earned an impressive $25 million the opening weekend, thanks to the fans who “came out in droves.”

Katya Mirgorodski, freshman, is not surprised by this outcome, as she is willing to pay the seventeen dollars per ticket to see the movie in 3D.

“I know it might seem odd if a lot of people, like adults, go to see The Lion King,” Mirgorodski said, “but it’s something we grew up with…and it’s worth the cost.”

Power also thinks adults should see kid’s movie, as she says it is easier to appreciate the humor and deeper meaning in The Lion King when an older person watches it.

If adults still are not interested in the The Lion King, James Cameron’s Titanic is being remastered and is set to release on April 6, 2012 in 3D.

“I’m bringing all my friends to see that, too,” Power said. “Movies like The Lion King and Titanic bring back feelings of nostalgia, so I will always go to see them if they’re playing.”